Mystery illness.( update)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

I have a doe that I am milking that had a false pregnancy and never kidded but came into milk anyway.

She has now dropped production to less than a quart a milking and I was going to just fry her off but she is having a problem that I can't identify.

I rearanged my milk room so I thought that was the problem because she is a very skiddish goat.
    Afraid of her own shadow I swear.

I had to fight her onto the milk stand and then even thought she started eating, as soon as I began milking she began groaning and panting and fighting to get out of the head lock.

She was coughing and gagging but I think that was because she was fighting the head lock and choking herself.

Yesterday I noticed her sides were swollen and hard. She was in obvious pain so I gave her banamine and probios paste after milking her.
    I took her temp and it was 101.8 but it was very cold in the barn.

She has been doing this every morning sense I changed the milk room and then acts just fine later in the day.

I did not milk her this AM but went to watch her after DH said she did not eat her grain.
    Her sides were again bloated and hard. She was hunched with tail tucked under.
    She was panting again and trying to lay down but could not get comfortable and kept getting back up and pawing the ground and trying again.
    I swear just like labor.
    Her stools are normal and she is peeing fine.
    She was bred the 16th of October but I really don't think it took.
    She hangs out at the buck pen a lot.

2. Corky

Corky New Member

Re: Mystery illness.

:blush2 That would be DRY her off though sometimes I do feel like frying her. :crazy

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

:rofl I have a doe I'd like to fry too! and on occasion, she will do what your doe is doing.. I'm at a loss as to what causes it. She also gacks on sunflower seeds. too odd!
    But I did find, that if I skipped a milking, it would sort of stop the cycle. When I start milking her again, I would do it real slow. I seems to work and thankfully, it's only been a few times this year, though she is a FF.

4. haeema

haeema New Member

I know this sounds crazy but one of my girls just couldn't eat. She would gag & choke. She was dropping #'s by the minute it seemed. I had tried several things and thought she had something caught in her throat. I couldn't see anything. I tubed her to get the probios down her (I only had the kind that goes in the kid's bottle). After that, she started gaining and was fine. My son, I found out later, had given them some "small" pears & perhaps that was it, maybe not??? Anyway, she had gotten so scary on me that she had actually stopped milking. Next year, I'll make sure no pears!!!

5. Corky

Corky New Member

For some reason, even though I have it set to notify me I don't get these e-mails but anyway,

It is weird because she eats her food just fine in the evening and I went up and checked on her later in the morning and her sides had softened and she was acting normal.

She is not faking. She really is in pain in the morning and can't eat. It is very, very strange.

I will watch her tonight to see if she can lay down comfortably.

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Hmmm.. maybe she's getting into something at night? Are they locked up at night? :/ goats can be too weird! :crazy

7. Corky

Corky New Member

We have lots of coyottes and even a cougar is spotted in these parts sometimes so they are locked in the bar at night mostly.
    On hot summer nights they are allowed to go out into the barnyard but no farther.

They do normally go out to the meadow in the daytime and they pass a lot of old dried parilla on the way. They usually don't eat it but I am wondering if she isn't nibbling on some and it does it's thing durring the night.
    It could be ragweed or lots of stuff actually. It is the open woods.

Today they were kept in. They could go no farther than their yard so could only eat hay and alfalfa pellets so we will see how she is in the morning.

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

If they're locked in a bar, maybe she has a hangover :)...sorry couldn't resist :)

Anyways I have no idea what it could be either. Hope you get it figure out for her

9. Corky

Corky New Member

Now that made me laugh. Thanks.

I think I have figured it out.

I think the dumb goat is eating stuff she shouldn't during the day.
    If so she is the only one dumb enough to do that. Thank goodness.

I say that because though she was shaking so bad she could hardly stand this morning she was otherwise fine.
    I did not let them go out to pasture yesterday just to check it out.

The trembling is due to her low temp. It is in the 20's here.
    She has apparently poisoned herself. I will have to put a sweater on her tonight till she gets her temp back up.

I gave her therabloat yesterday and that straightened her out fast.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If she is poisoned isn't charcoal in order? I don't know as have never had it happen just asking. Hope she gets better.

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

There's always one, isn't there!

Well hopefully, you've got her figured out and maybe she'll learn something from the deal, unless she really likes the taste of whatever it is! I seem to be having a bout of pink-eye running through the herd.. how wonderful is that! :really :nooo

12. Corky

Corky New Member

:D She is fine now.
    Her temp is back up and she is eating good.

I kept them in for a few days and she got well so I am sure I was right that she was eating something she shouldn't.

Dumb goat!

Today I put a lead on her and walked them to the meadow then sneaked back home without them.
    I will see how she does in the morning. It could be persimmons but I have noticed that most of my girls don't eat those either.
    They should not hurt them as deer love them but I don't know.

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl I have one small lone persimmon tree about 1/2 way in the pasture. Since the cow has been dried off and put in the back pasture, the goats have the front to themselves. It's a "goat stampede" when I open the lot gate every morning to see who gets to the fallen persimmons 1st. Quite amusing to watch the older girls completely loose their dignity outrunning the younger does! :lol

No problems yet from that and they've been eating what's fallen every morning for two weeks, now.
    Kaye

14. Corky

Corky New Member

Problems with my e-mail.
    I just got this one and it is Nov 3.
    Hummmm.... :/

Anyway, she got all well so I finally let them back out to pasture.
    She has been fine for a while now but refused her PM feeding and AM feeding this morning and is hunching up again.
    STUPID GOAT!!!!

This is a pita! I guess I can't let her back out anymore as I think she finally settled and who knows what she is doing to her kids. :crazy

15. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Hmm, do they make grazing muzzles for goats? lol

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Corky you just need to check in daily I guess

17. Corky

Corky New Member

Sondra, it is hotmails fault.

Now I get one or maybe two of probably 50 or more from another forum I go to.
    If I get one I should get them all. Strange.

Kept the goats in again today and she is OK tonight.
    It causes her pain but does not efect the workings of her plumbing.
    she still pees and poops normally.
    She arches up like a holloween cat when she is having a cramp.