Mysterious death---please help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

My Christmas present--a little buckling-- died quite suddenly. :down He was a Nigerian dwarf born Oct 5, 2007 so he was about 11 weeks old. He came here with a slight cough--very dry cough. If I stayed out with them for about a half hour, I would only hear him cough once or twice so not constant. None of our local stores had Prohibit/levisol so I order some hoping that the cough was lungworm. I did not get a chance to treat him or have a vet look at him. Which I feel horrible about but with the holidays and such everything has been so hectic here. Of course, if I had just realized how serious it was......but hindsight is always 20/20....

He was with us about a week. He also cried a lot but would stop if you paid him some attention. He left his mom when he came to live with us so I figured the crying was from being weaned and sent to a new place. No temp and seemed up and happy. I have been at work the past 3 days but DH said he was acting normal yesterday and tonight I went in and found him dead. The only change to their environment was we put the water on the other side of the fence where they had to just put their heads through to drink since they kept pooping in the water. I suppose it is possible that he died of dehydration but I know he was able to get to the water. The bred doe I purchased along with him also has the dry cough---can I treat her with the prohibit???? I also have Ivomec if that's better. I want to save my doe and also my resident buck has developed a slight cough which I am paranoid about. I went ahead and gave him the Prohibit at the does in Goat Keeping 101----mix the packet with 17.5 ounces water and give 2cc per 50 lbs. He got just slightly under 2 CC since he is about 40 pounds.

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Oh I am so sorry for your loss, sending hugs your way.

3. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

I'm sorry, hope that you find some answers soon. Carolyn

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I kinda have my doubts about it being lungworm caused death, and it almost sounds like they already had some type of "kennel cough" thing going on when you got them. Is there a chance that your other buck could have butted him hard enough to kill him.?......I made the mistake of trying to put my 2 bucks, younger & older together the other day....things were OK for a little while, but I went back out to find them fighting, and had done bloodied each others head pretty good. It must be because they are still in hard rut right now. Was the little bucks stomach area kinda sunk in, like he hasn't had anything to eat ? Had he been completely weened off milk when you got him ?
    Sorry you lost him, I've found these ND's to be tough as nails for the most part.

5. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I suppose anything is possible. It did seem like the older boys (he was with a buck and a wether) were being really nice to him huddling for warmth and letting him eat. There's nothing I can do for him now but I'd really like to treat the doe that he came here with who has that same damn cough.

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Sure am sorry about your little buckling. Can't say about the cough though, & I've not heard of Prohibit(?) Hope someone with more insight can help you.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

How far along is she?? believe you can use it after 1st trimester but pm Kaye or Vicki to make sure.

8. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I would think maybe a round of antibiotic. Are they up to date on their cd/T? It could be silent pneumonia also. Very sneaky bugger and a fast killer too. Good luck

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm sorry you lost your little buck. The cough may not have had anything to do with his death unless he had something that developed into pneumonia. Any time a new goat dies I'd always wonder if it has to do with a feed change. You said this kid was just weaned. Weaning time is stressful and may have brought on entero, polio, or if he had some little virus/cold causing the cought, it may have developed into pneumonia. I'd keep a close watch on your doe for signs of pneumonia. I don't know anything about the med you gave your buck and would consult with a vet before giving anything to a bred doe.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I'm thinking entro also and once it hits it is fast

11. Nigilover

Nigilover New Member

I'm so sorry for you--- don't beat yourself up about it, I'm sure you did what you thought was best at the time.You sound like you really care about your goats. Hind sight always makes you feel horrible-- just take a lesson from it. The little ones seem to be the most fragile. I try to give a squirt of Nutradrench and Probios to any goat undergoing a stressfull change. I also go ahead and give Bio-Mycin for coughs in any little ones, for the most part, they don't normally cough. If you have a good vet you like, a call to the office for info is usually helpful too. You can check with them on which med is best for pregnant does. Also I agree with the CD/T point--- did he get any? People have different schedules for babies--- I give 1cc at 2wks, 6wks and then 2cc at 10 wks. I have had success for 11 yrs with that schedule.

12. He might not have been eating enough, that is too young to wean plus the stress of a new home to deal with.
    If he is not taking in enough calories in the cold he will die :(.
    Becky

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Becky post was my gut feeling with this also. Quaranteen is not just about health and testing, its about for their own good also. A cough doesn't mean alot, some kids cough when changed from a more liquid diet to all hay and browse. They are cudding alot more than they are used to. And I do agree, the stress compounded by not really getting enough calories.

Prohibit is the powdered form of levamisole/tramisole. Instructions for using it are on dairygoatinfo.com Vicki

14. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

Lauren - I am sorry for your loss. It is hard to loss a little one like that - especially when you aren't sure why. Did you get him from Sharon?

15. SandyReuel

SandyReuel New Member

Sorry that you lost your little guy. It is a real shame but I kind of doubt it was from any form of worms at his young age. Some pneumonias are very fast and very fatal. You need to take your coughing doeling to see the vet and get his opinion and you need to make time to do it right away.
    Good luck
    Sandy

16. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Becky......with ND,s , I don't think that 11 weeks old is unusually to young to wean for the most part....maybe B.V. will pop in and give her opinion. I know that Nd bucklings can breed at about 8 weeks old, so those who dam raise or let them run with other doe's have to be very careful......but I do agree with you and V., and I was kinda suggesting the same thing in my post.....Too much stress, and too much change in diet at one time. Probably not much stored fat to burn on this little guy, so he needed lots of calories going in to fight the cold weather.
    I suspect that he was low on the pecking order and may have been getting rooted out at the feed trough. After weaning, I feed each one individually twice a day, and I stay there until all is full. A young-in this age gets a little "off" feed at any feeding is noted, and is monitored a little closer......2 "Off" feedings in a row, throws up a red flag for me, and its time to check temps, fecal exams, ect.
    As a rule of thumb.....I don't consider my young ND's "out of the woods" until they are about 4 months old.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

right 11 wks is not to young to wean IF they are eating good prior and during weaning. However if he was pulled from mom and moved /chg or feed/ whether he was getting enough feed etc etc etc all play a part of his well being. It is always hard to lose one Truly am sorry for your loss but sometimes we just don't know. personally I would give your doe the wormers and Vit C also probiotics

18. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions---I will definitely do Vit C (probably on everyone since it's supposed to be VERY VERY cold here and I don't want any compromised immune systems) and the whole herd has been wormed to prevent passing lungworms around. I'm keeping a very close eye on my doe and buck. So far, both look bright and happy with no temps but if the coughing continues after the worming, a trip to the vet is in order. Thanks again.

No, he came from a clean herd in Nebraska.