My turn for separation and a mystery

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I'm guessing this is separation? The top of my soap has an oil filled trench down the center. There is oil on the table under the mold. The mystery is how did it get there? This is a one piece silicone mold inside a wood box that comes apart. There are no oil marks on the sides of the wood. There was no oil on the cover. When I took the sides off the wood box I felt oil on one side of the silicone box but again, no oil marks on the wood. Just can't seem to figure out how the oil got out. No zap in anything I tested.

Same old recipe but a new FO. I intended to make sandalwood but at the last minute found I didn't have enough and grabbed this one. *sigh*

I'm not even going to try to get it out of the silicone mold until Thurs.. I'm just too busy and I know it's going to be an oily mess.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

probably too much oil in the other FO

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yeah what Sondra said. Who did you purchase it from? I had a mess with alot of the stuff I purchased from someone going out of business, I think most of it was 50/50 cut with oil. Imagine if you are putting 7 ounces into a 7 pound batch, how much 'superfat' that is, of course it can't always absorb. Plus we are already adding it at nearly trace, so the lye that has merried with the butters and oils is nearly through with it's process so this excess oil simply can't be absorbed. The problem with the soap will be it is going to be ugly. Sort of pitted and grained all over from the oil not allowing the soap to get smooth to your liner or on the top. Regrate it and use it in something else. You may have to finish using this FO at nearly half it's strength if it won't hold than take out at least 4 ounces of your oil in your recipe...that was the only way I could finish using the about 15 pounds of crapola I ended up with! Vicki

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Well I sure am glad this was only a 4 oz bottle! I can't imagine dealing with 15 pounds of it! I got this from the-common-scents.com. Someone here recommended their Love Spell which I haven't tried yet. That one I did get a full pound of so I hope it is good.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You know what I do now as I try store type individual scents like you did. I email them back, or get them on the phone. I do the customary...try to tell them that I am an experienced soaper and either this scent is so cut with carrier oils to morph my tried and true recipe (remember I go back to the Wallmart recipe whenever I try new scents because if it fails it's the additives not the recipe) or, this is not safe for CP soap and you need to add a warning to the discription of the scent. I am not sure if they appreciate this information as much as they say :) But if everyone did it, perhaps they would know since alot of them, there is no way they are selling only scent that they have soaped! vicki