my small experiment

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by R and R Farms, Jul 17, 2008.

1. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

Connie and I took some poop over and had Eric and Rachel at Clover Hill do fecals and discovered our young doe and young buck (especially the buck) had a pretty good load of worms. At least they had enough to warrant a deworming regimen.
    I decided to try a different wormer on each and re-fecal later and check on our progress. Well.....I gave her Ivomec @ 1 cc/25Lbs. The boy got Safeguard, what ever the recommended dose is on the bottle, for three days in a row. I wanted to try the safeguard on him because I've been seeing tapeworm segments in his poop.
    We went back and had Eric do a fecal and the buck's eggs/gram had doubled!! The doe had slightly higher levels but still nothing compared to him. The Safeguard only slowed down the tapeworm as I started noticing segments after only a few days.
    My conclusion is that neither of these wormers are gonna suffice. I believe that if I had assumed either of these products were working and not re-fecaled I would have ended up with two sick, or possibly dead goats.
    I broke down and bought some of that purple liquid gold :yeahthat otherwise known as Cydectin, and will check them again as soon as my microscope arrives.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

How long from the worming to the next fecal was there?

Great job, we can write it over and over but until you do this, it's like folks don't want to believe it. vicki

3. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

I think it was about 6 days after worming when we did the second fecal. I was a little unsure of how long I should have waited.

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I would treat again in 10 days and then again in 10 days...just to get the numbers gone...Good Luck

5. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Hi Guys,
    I use Cydectin and alternate with Ivermectin Plus injectable and Valbazen. Valbazen is really good at getting the tape worms. Safegard just doesn't work around this area. They have built up a resistance to it.

If they have a heavy worm burden, I would deworm with Cydectin, in 10 days give the Valbazen and in 10 days give the Cydectin wait 10 days and recheck your fecals.

6. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

Hi, Chris. Yeah, I forgot to mention we tried the Valbazen on him when we first got him here. It didn't work on the tapeworms either. I am ashamed to say that I misread and gave him a very strong dose too. The ivomec plus is one that I have never fooled with and may give it a try sometime in the future.
    I have done a lot of research on canine wormers and I know that the Praziquantel products are very effective against all species of tapeworms. I had actually wondered if it would work for goats and read somewhere yesterday that has been recommended for them. I also have heard on numerous occasions that tapeworms are not that serious of a problem. It just bothers me seeing those segments. :tearhair
    P.S. I really like the buck picture in your avatar. He looks a lot like the young buck I have. :lol

7. Goater

Goater Guest

Even more pricey, but much nicer to use is the Cydectin oral drench for sheep. It is clear and has no odor, unlike the Cydectin Pour on which uses diesel or something similar for it's carrier. It has no stated milk withdrawl, but it might be best to give it a day or two.