My PVC molds - Pics

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Sheryl, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Nana

Nana New Member

Thank you for the idea. I made my own and am trying them out now. How long do you wait to take them out of the PVC pipe?

2. Nana

Nana New Member

I waited 3 days and used the air compressor with the caps on for the 3 inch molds. They sure came out nice. Thanks again they are wonderful. I need to work on getting them perfectly uniform. I put the log on end in a small bowl and then sliced across the top of the bowl with a large blade. They were pretty even but I had to keep cleaning the bowl as soap built up in it. I made the PVC pipes 18 inches long and luckily my recipe filled 5 of them at a time. 118 bars of soap at a crack. Pretty cool. How thick do you cut yours. Mine are just about 1 inch.

3. In it for the Bucks!

In it for the Bucks! New Member

Sheryl,
    I know this was posted a really long time ago but I was wondering how long are each of the "molds" and how much soap do they hold?? I am planning on making these really soon but I am very afraid that I eaither will not have enough and will resort back to my old silacone molds (which means more for the fam and friends lol) or that I will go crazy and have WAY too many for the amount of soap I make. :) Thanks :)

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Just go to home depot or lowes and have them cut you 3 inch PVC pipes into 20 inch lengths, you really don't want them longer than this. Get end caps for them, don't bother spending the extra money on flat ones the rounded end ones are cheaper and work fine. Just pour your normal recipe, unlike other molds if you don't fill the third one all the way up it doesn't ruin your soap making it to narrow or tall to cut. I only use them for loofah soaps, so can't help with how much they hold. I make a 5 gallon bucket filled with soap, it's my castile EO herbed up soap, so I pour regular bars and then fill as many tubes as I have soap left.

5. informative

informative New Member

I used pringles cans on two of the last three batches but they are single use (and we quit eating pringles) - I like the round shape and how you can cut thicker or thinner bars from a round stick of freshly made soap - this looks much more durable and lasting - I may skip the air pressure thing and just make a round plastic puck on a stick for pushing them out haven't decided. If you have the pucks on both ends should be easy enough to simply put the open pvc with soap on top and pull it down to eject the soap. If it doesnt work as well as I imagine I will fall back to the bicycle pump idea