my poor doe...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mpete, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mpete

mpete New Member

I got back from San Diego late Saturday. We butchered that buck yesturday morning so I didn't get my doe back until last night, so I didn't milk until this morning. She was housed in with her kid (3 months old, weaned about a month ago), and turned out in the field to browse during the day. I have learned a BIG lesson. #1) She allowed him to nurse which allowed him to bite her... she has several bites on her teats and #2) her udder now has scratches on it from the brush she apparently walked through. I tried to be really gentle when I milked her this morning, I had my mom pet her and talk to her. She was so uncomfortable that she did not eat. I put bag balm on her udder after washing and massaged it in pretty well. Is there anything else I can do for her? Should I be worried about anything other than the minor scratches?
    On the up side of my week... my son graduated Pfc and may have another promotion when he gets back from liberty. We had a party with 12 people here from 9 to 19 plus me, hubby and my mom and we ate about 10 lbs. of that buck that got me last week. I've never had goat before. He was about a 2 year old alpine cross buck and my kids even liked the meat!! One of my son's friends had a roll of chain link in the back of his truck and I jokingly told him where he could drop it off AND HE DID! It apparently was left over from a job site. He has 2 more rolls at home he is bringing to me. I am so excited!!

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Nothing is better than biting the goat that "bit" you!! Yummy, isn't it!??
    When using udder balm or any of that other lanolin based stuff, I find that it's good to massage into the udder, massage well and then use a paper towel to wipe it off. The healing properties as well as the conditioning aspects of the lanolin will have had time to penetrate, but you won't be left with goopy stuff lingering on there.. you will find, that when you go to clean her off for your next milking, that her udder will be dirty. That stuff just soaks up dirt! And make sure to keep the teat orifice clean.. you want no nasties to get into the udder!

I read somewhere a few years ago, about a young buck that someone got. They let him out into the yard with their doe and he ran up to her, nursed out both sides and then bred her.. They were a bit mortified, but it happened so fast that there really wasn't anything they could do about it.. you have to keep and eye out on those youn'uns! :)

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't use bag balm use a benadine wash or clorexiderm (sp?) you want antiseptic powers and dry it up bag balm is greasy and collect germs /dirt etc. then infection sets in. even hydrogen peroxide is better than bag balm.

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Well :yeahthat I guess it's just how bad are the bites!?

When my girls go out into the woods they always get a cut or two from the prickey vines we have growing all around here.. but it's usually very superficial and my udder cream works very well. If it was somthing that involved a bit of bleeding, then yea, go with a chlorehexiderm or Betadine wash, heck even some Blue-Cote would work.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That is very true Stacy but was thinking if the doe is in pain then probably bad enough for the antiseptics.

6. mpete

mpete New Member

thank you... should I worry about antibiotic being given to her or just the skin antiseptic is good enough? She's not showing signs of infection, but you can tell they really bother her... It looks like a couple of the bites went kinda deep, should I worry about quality of milk?

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Hmmm, sorry, I was thinking it was somewhat more superficial. My girls who get owies can be touchy, sort of like having a scratch that someone is pinching (?) but if the wounds are deep (you sure the kid did this??) and "deep" is so subjective, then I would clean them out well, and if deep enough to warrant, maybe even superglue it closed so that debris doesn't get in there and cause an infection. I would think that if there wasn't milk coming out of bites, then the quality of the milk should be fine unless of course, you start her on antibiotics.

8. mpete

mpete New Member

They are not quite deep enough for stitches, and you can see the curvature of the teeth marks in the teat. It almost looks like she was kicking him off and he held on? The scratches on the udder are superficial. The kind you'd get if you walked through brush with a short sleeve shirt and shorts, I wish I had my camera cord because I could take a pic.... In my mind, if she was my kid, I wouldn't take them to the doctor, but I would keep it bandaged... does that make any sense? They are not red, swollen, or dripping anything so no sign of infection....

9. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I had a doe last year that I let nurse her 2 bucklings and they tore up her udder. They were like scratches that scabed over but then when you milked you could tell that they hurt her and sometimes the scabs would come off and she would bleed. I would just clean them each time that I milked her and then rub bag balm on them. I just thought of it kind of like if you nursed a baby and the baby made a sore on you. They healed up within a week. Of course I had to remove the kids.
    Theresa