my milking technique

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Jul 17, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I wonder if my milking technique is good. It works, but I just want to make sure I have no major flaws:
    1. pail with jar in it surrounded by ice.
    2. SS strainer in jar
    3. wash udder, clean each starting with teat first with its own paper towel
    4. Milk through strainer into jar in icebath
    5. cover jar when finished, remove from bath
    6. spray each teat with Fight Bac
    7. Take jar into house put in freezer
    8. Put Lily in pen, fill her water, feed her leftover alfalfa pellets from milking (I put her full morning ration in tub on "stand") Tend to other animals water and morning chores (no more than 15 minutes)
    9. Put jar in fridge after stirring and checking temp
    10. 1 hour after milking check temp is 48 degrees.

The only flaw I have found is that on occasion I forget the milk in the freezer for too long and it is frozen

Thanks
    Sarah

2. Rose

Rose New Member

I'm not an expert by any means, but I do filter through the dairy filters. Sort of non-woven cloth things. Does your SS strainer have that in it?

3. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I use a coffee strainer with dairy filters or paper towel on top. My neighbor gave me some filters and I am almost out, need to order some more from hoegger...unless there is a cheaper place

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well for me milking into a jar would take too long. I would milk into a SS pail and pour into my strainer and jar that is sitting in an ice bath.

5. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I had been doing the pail into jar thing and decided to try into jar this morning. Didn't make a mess, was quicker (not sure how that worked), and only had to use one pail! I am still trying things out to see what works, but this all might change when Tuesday rolls around and I have another doe to milk!!!

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Put Lily in pen, fill her water, feed her leftover alfalfa pellets from milking (I put her full morning ration in tub on "stand")

Keep her alfalfa pellets in the barn, feed her grain on the milkstand. Vicki

7. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Ok. will start feeding alfalfa pellets am and pm in barn and grain only on milkstand. I knew if I came to y'all any errors would be fixed!