My horrible Sunday!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Well I just got the energy to post this. Goating is not easy. This past Sunday some friends of mine called to let me come see the does they brought home, VERY BRED. Well the luted one of the does on Friday as she was due to kid soon anyway and they wanted to be there with her. She was a VERY LARGE doe, I bet she would have weighed in at 275lbs heck and that is being nice but she was beautiful, anyhow. She was going very slow in the labor department as she was luted on Friday and was now working at 48 hours in semi-labor so I asked did you go in see what was going, b/c the doe was in some signs of distress and very uncomfortable but it was subtle signs of distress something you would have had to of witnessed before to see, they had gone in but the cervix wasn't completely dialated well that was a couple of hours ago so they ask me to go in, I did, (I am known as the "goat twat digger" in these parts b/c I don't wait for something to go wrong before I start exploring), found two of the cervical rings not dialated completely, enough for me to feel a kid head right behind it. I told them to wait a little while and check again, well around 7 pm they called she was dying, they needed a vet and quickly for a emergency c-section, NO ONE WOULD DO IT, so I had to call a FL vet and see what I could do, I couldnt' pull kids without risk of ripping the cervix out but those were our options, do an on the farm c-section ourselves, (heeby jeebies) or work slow to the kids out through the cervix, by this time we had discovered that she was actually Ketonic and had been, no one knew we had no clue, anyhow, I went over she didn't look good at all, I thought she was dead, we got her up, she stood there shaking, I went in the find the cervix was closing down, it had gotten thick and was closing up, she absorbed her milk from her udder, it was not good, I worked slowly as not to rip anything, things started loosing up, she started pushing (this was her first push of the entire labor) and as she pushed she sucked my hand through the cervix which by then had loosened back up and dialated, I retrieved 3 weak but alive kids, 2 does and a buck, so they go to work on them and I take care of the dam, she drank lots of water, and loved on the kids for a while, I couldnt believe a doe that close to death is now holding her head up and drinking water, we called Ohio and they give a list of stuff to start her on, she done a 180 degree turn from death to I want to live, well Monday morning I got the call , she had died, I was stunned. I have never dealt with Ketosis before and had no clue what the signs were, I knew slow labor needs to be supplemented with calcium so they did but it was far too late, poor gal. Rest in Peace.

Thanks for letting me share,
    Autumn

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Lord have mercy. Sorry about those troubles too. This has to be about one of the weirdest train wreck years ever. Seems like most folks are having kids way bigger than normal this year....and a bunch of these kids can't seem to get in line properly. I'm glad that I only have one left to kid.

again sorry, Whim

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Thanks, Whim.. I have 5 left to kid and one of those was NOT suppose to be bred especially to her sire..he throws HUGE kids...every kid out of him has been 9-10.5lbs this year and ALL does...so we will be on p & n till she kids as she is just a yearling.

OH CRAP,
    Autumn

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

What is p & n? So sorry for the terrible ordeal. You should be congratulated though on saving those kids. I am amazed!

My doe was bred way too soon as well and even though she only had a 7.9lb buckling he was stuck and I had to seesaw his legs until he popped out. Very trying time but both are doing well. I could not imagine her delivering a 10 pounder. Yicks! Hope all goes well for her and for you. Take it easy now....you deserve it.

-Kim

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH that is too bad glad you were able to get in and save the kids but just for the record I believe if you get lute on your hand you can dialate the cervex and get in sooner better check with Vicki or Kaye on this also this is where injectable cmpk and lactated ringers given to the doe may have helped. Sorry you had to go thru this.

6. pins and needles :)

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm sorry about the doe. I just talked to a friend today and she had a trainwreck that resulted in the loss of her doe as well. Her Saanen went into labor and she had a kid with his head turned back and the other kid coming on top of him. She couldn't push the kids back to straighten the head so she had to pull the baby that way. She had another experienced goat breeder with her. The buckling was born dead, the doeling lived. They treated the doe with calcium and other meds and she was fine for a day, had milk and jumped on the milkstand with no difficulty. This morning she went out to find the doe dead. She's pretty down because she loved that doe and had just lost a newly fresh FB Boer doe the other day. This does sound like a tough kidding season for some. Kathie