My goats have a hay belly...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jaytori220, Aug 15, 2008.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

I have 2 young wethers that have had a hay belly since I bought them last month. One being more then the other but his conformation is also much different then the other. Him being very short backed and more compact. The other is longer and taller. They were being fed coastal bermuda hay and wouldnt touch it after a while so I switched them to really nice canadian T&A hay and they seem to like it better. Its about 20%alf and 80% timothy. They have it 24/7 in the shelter and get 1/4 cup goat pellet in AM. They have been wormed, eating and drinking normal. Is there anything that I can do to get rid of the pot bellies?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Goats have 4 stomachs in that little space, they should have some real deapth of body from eating that much roughage.

If they are wormed, didn't come with past cocci burdens that makes them not just pot bellied but thin over the top, especially noticeable in the indentations right at the tail head (where the tail meets the rump) it should have some flesh right there in a well fed goat. If thin, they could easly have came to you with cocci ruined intestines.

Are the colors of the mucous membranes of their eyes good? Check out the anemia chart on goatkeeping 101, under Famacha.

Sound like healthy boys to me. Vicki

3. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

They had big bellies when I got them. I did worm them and they havent been sick. The littlest one I noticed was anemic after I brought them home and thats why I wormed both. They act fine and look good....their bellies are just huge! Ive seen some really nice lean goats that look good also so thats why I was wondering if the huge bellies were a normal thing or if possibly something was wrong and how to fix it. Sounds like they are just healthy.