My First Soap On a Stick! (nearly)

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Huminbird, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Huminbird

Huminbird New Member

Oh my goodness! My normal boring recipe until I put the scent Almond Cherry Bark from prairie fragrances in. It started getting chunky and then I could feel my stickblender starting to hit harder spots on the bottom of the pot. I quickly tried to pour it into my mold except it wouldn't pour at that point. I took a spoon and spooned the chunks in and tried to squash them as best I could. The worst part is all of my recipe didn't fit into my log mold. I have some milkyway molds that I put about half my recipe into. Chunkys don't fit so well into those molds.

What did I do wrong? Should I have tried to beat it and beat it into submission?
    Should I have poured even faster, as soon as it showed signs of hardening up? I wanted to make sure I got the FO all mixed in.

Well, at least this serves as a warning. If you get that FO from prairie fragrances be careful. I checked out the scent on her website and it is under the CP safe list and doesn't say anything about accelerating at all.

2. Gunnie

Gunnie Member

I found that out last week as well. Others have said the same thing happened with them. It accelerates really fast. I stir my scent in with a rubber spatula that way it it starts to oatmeal up I can try to dump it real fast.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You can't use your stick blender on new scents unless you know how it works for you in your recipe. Then write on the bottle with a sharpy marker "Accelerates move fast" or "rices" or "perfect"....

Also try putting it in with your oils and butters, stick blend in well, and then add your lye/liquid to it slowly. I did two of Lillians I used to soap that way and it worked wonderfully. It was fast to trace, but totally controllable.

Also when adding scent make sure it's not too cold. You don't want it way off of the temp of your soap in your bucket/pot. Vicki

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Actually, this scent was just discussed in a very recent thread (Prairie Fragrances? thread). I soaped it a couple years ago and yep... it doesn't do well in CP soap. :)

Sara

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Vicki.....when doing it that way do you add your milk to your lye water then? I have a couple really fast ones I'm scared of soaping again but I love the scent.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I did it both ways, back when I used only frozen GM and now when I use 50/50 waterlye and then GM at emulsion. I am very careful to have my GM warm. If this technique doesn't work you either have to HP it or use it only in leave on products or candles. Vicki

7. Huminbird

Huminbird New Member

Great advice, thank you! I guess it was bound to happen one day...this is my first bad batch. I think I can use the log mold because it jelled really well and that probably made all the chunks come together but all of the little milkyway molds are probably going to need to be chunked up for another soap.

Anyone have any ideas what scent this would go well with? A mint maybe?

8. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I've never tired the Almond Cherry Bark but I just soaped Amande Cherry Vanilla (almond cherry vanilla) From Oregon Trails and it behaved wonderfully I even had time to color part of it and swirl and it smells OMG it's awesome and it just gets better as it ages :)

sheryl