My first OMH Soap

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Sheryl, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Okay, after lots of reasearch...on dgi and asking questions, I made my first batch of OMH using goat milk, honey l'octaine, almond fo's. squirted a little honey for label appeal. And two hand fuls of oats. it smells wonderful, but it is gelling, and I hope it doesn't burn off all the scent. I cut the wal mart recipe in half, used 8 oz of shea, and 8.25 of safflower. 14 oz of water, and only 7 oz of gm. put gm in at emulsification. put fo's in at last minute just after trace. it behaved very well was a very light golden color. went into the mold like putting whipping cream in. Everything looked lovely, then a few seconds later full blown gel. It scared the you know what outta me. Thought my soap was ruined. So came on dgi, searched about gel...found out it's okay, but I am smelling the fo's really strong all over the house. Hope it's not burning them up!! This is only my second attempt at wal-mart recipe. before this, it was just rebatching plain batches of soap....I don't call that making soap :/ Anyway, the lime soap I made for the last swap, was my first actual batch of soap...this is my second. Sure hope the gel doesn't ruin the scent and the lovely light golden color. I guess I'll know by in the morning...shouldn't it be cool by then? It sure is hot!

Sheryl

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

My bet is that it will be fine if you soap with cool oils and lye. Honey can heat it up like crazy. I've had it get really hot and seperate, but now I soap everything RT and it is fine.

3. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Sheryl,
    fast gel is normal and your soap will be fine, it will be cool by this morning and sometimes you can actually cut it this soon.. Sounds like it turned out wonderful.. I love oatmeal soap, one of my best sellers always..
    I make one without fragrance that always smells just like oatmeal.. customers love it as an unscented bar.. Cheaper for me to make and sell also with no fragrance in it..
    Barbara

4. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Well you were right. It was fine and cool this morning. Whew! although it is a golden brown, but that is okay, looks more like a honey color. It still smells wonderful. So I panicked for nothing thank goodness.

Also made another batch same forumla, less shea, no milk with polor sport fo. DD wanted to color it, she wanted a light blue. I had my lye cooler this time, and I thought my oils cooler, but it still gelled. We didn't have any colors for soap, so we kinda experimented we used a blue paste cake color :rofl yeah I know, but ya gotta do something silly every once in a while. It was kinda blue in the bucket..then turned really peachy pink kinda pretty...but not for polo sport :/ anyway it went to gell, turned dark blue..this morning it is purple or kinda dark lavender...but I know those colors can change again after it has air dried. Both are cut and airing now. They both smell good. okay...I've been bitten by the soaping bug...I wanna do more :woohoo

This is fun.

Sheryl