My breeding plans gone awry

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark_jewels, Aug 22, 2008.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Well here I sit reaking of buck, sticky with buck urine and feeling utterly defeated.

Most of my herd was lined up to be bred to my three Junior herdsires. Two February Nubian bucklings and one March Lamancha buckling. They have all been exercising, stretching and peeing on themselves for a month at least.

So a few days ago I put the Lamancha in with a visiting doe so he could bring her in heat. This guy knows what its all about and I have no doubt that he got her bred yesterday.

Yesterday Peppercorn came in heat so I put she and Camaro(one of the Nubian bucklings) in the breeding pen together. He is absolutely clueless. Didn't smell her, didn't even check her out and she didn't like him at all. I left them together all night and this morning I could all but swear that he didn't touch her at all. She is still in heat this morning but I can't breed her to another buck just in case Camaro did get her. But I am sure he did not. He is completely contented now back in his own pen.

This morning Bess is in heat. She is lined up to be bred to Eric(the other Nubian buckling). He didn't know what to do with her, even though he has always been very bucky and reaks to the heavens. She hated him and I was afraid she would intimidate him into being afraid of does in general. After leaving them together for a couple hours, he just yelled the whole time for me to let him out, I took her out and bred her to Copper Hill Little Buddy, my 5 year old buck. He had her bred in about 5 minutes.

I think I am going to have to end up having to breed all my mature does to my mature bucks and only covering my later-bred doelings with the young bucks. But maybe they will feel like it next month.........

Anyone got any tips on getting a couple of extremely masculine stinky bucklings to get a clue??? They are simply not interested at all.

My breeding program is already starting a month later than I like. I cannot afford to wait for these two little guys. If they cannot do the job on the does first heat, the doe must go to another buck.

Frustration, frustration!!

I have *never* had a buckling who couldn't get the job done when they were left overnight with the doe!
    I have tried every way I can think of to introduce them to these does in heat and its a no-go.

2. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I am picturing my girls and my neighbor's buck as you describe this! My girls go visit her buckling pen and her big boer lives with them. Well the girls butt heads with the bucklings and the Boer comes over all gruntty and bucky and the girls wander off. He climbs up on the fence and just calls to them! lol and he didn't even get any! lol

3. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

After reading this, I don't feel quite so bad. Last fall was my first breeding season ever. All I can say is, first time does, first time bucks and a first time person just don't work! Not only that, but I decided to breed my Alpines to my Nigerian bucks.
    The bucks were very young, the does too tall, no one wanted to stand near the platform, this doe didn't like that buck....... I am quite sure that the neighbors thought I was completely bonkers and a pervert to boot. :/

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Barb That is Halarious!

5. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Okay, this may sound weird, but just a suggestion. Have someone help and try breeding right next to the buck pen. We have had bucks (especially Nubians - who at our house seemed to take longer to figure things out) that were upset about being away from the pen and their "ahem, pen" buddies and actually are scared, don't know what a doe is for and therefore can't do their jobs. If you can clip one buck buddy to the fence on the inside of the pen and then clip the doe to the fence on the outside of the pen where you have doe and your planned your buckling... well you get the picture.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Close competitors, seem to speed things up a lot! ;)
    Ummmm... :blush Kinda' like..."you don't know what to do with it, get outa' my way!" Another buck blubbering and stomping and spitting tied SECURELY to the fence( or preferrably on the outside) will generally get the little guy on to business.
    Kaye

7. chewie

chewie New Member

i would like some help! along these lines as well-- i have this slow learning nub buck, born in january. i have 4 does i want bred, but when i put him in the pen, they just head butt. he lives with 2 of the girls needing bred, right next to the other 4 in milk, 2 of them i want bred now. would it work better to put girls in his pen? take the 2 out of his pen for now? make a separate stall or something as a love nest?? i have a 3 month old cross breed buckling that came with a package deal, the one that was breeding his sister last week. (ugh) would i do well to put this frisky young-un in wtih my clueless nubian? (i do not want anyone bred by him!) then set up a date night with the nub and a doe? how do i do this? it seemed like such a simple plan before i tried it!!!! what to do?

8. Be patient. :)
    A lot of does will not cycle unil September, especially without a mature buck around :)
    Becky

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And the DNA committe member that I am let me remind you, that even thought you think the young buck didn't breed her she did have contact with an intact buck during her heat so you do ethically have to DNA this group of kids out of her. Vicki

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Not weird at all, I already tried that. :lol

11. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Hi Vicki,
    I'm not sure who your adressing this post too? If it was me, I can assure you that Eric did NOT breed Bess because I sat there in a lawn chair for TWO HOURS and just watched them. :crazy She stood at the fence, wagging and yelling at me, he sniffed around the pen, sprayed himself a few times, and then chewed his cud. :sigh
    I am very strict and careful to never possibly double-breed a doe. The few times I knew it happened in the past(due to buck break-outs and once due to a doe break-in) I just didn't register the resulting kids. Thankfully that was back when I had the large dairy herd and registrations didn't matter so much on my commercial does. But thanks for the reminder. :):

12. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Well.......Its all been worked out. Camaro and Eric still don't have a clue despite everything I can come up with to help them out. I'm pretty sure they will be able and ready to breed the doelings in September but the adult does still scare them spitless.
    But a friend is allowing me to breed a few adult does to her two bucks and the rest will be bred to my two adult bucks.
    Its been a busy few days. Butchered four wethers and bred 13 does in four days. Its going to be exciting five months from now. :lol
    The Lamancha buckling on the other hand is now an "old pro". :rofl