Multi-kid feeder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Wendy Tinney, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I may be way behind on the times :crazy, but I just wanted to share that the feeder from Hoegger's is a lifesaver for me. I love to bottle feed the newborns at first, but several babies in one week has made me quite thankful for this feeder. I have gotten them on it by the time they are a day old. If they can stand up, they can use it. It will hold the Pritchard Nipple and the bigger ones. You don't have to wait for them to be strong enough to suck up a long tube.

The only thing is it does leak a little. Has anyone else used this, and does your's leak a little? Or am I putting it together wrong? Not enough leaking to make me ever stop using it.

Hope this will help somebody else that is feeding non-stop all day long. :biggrin

Wendy

2. coso

coso Guest

From what I have heard from others the leaking is the big problem with these gravity fed feeders. You end up with a big mess, especially after those nipples get weaker and weaker as it gets older. If you start them with a short bucket fixed like a regular lamb bar they get used to it really quick.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I use lambars rather than the Hoegger style kid feeders.

Multi-kid feeding is a lifesaver. We feed free choice pasteurized goat milk. I have small lambars that I use when they are a day old until they get the hang of it then I move them to the regular size lambars. Works like a charm. :)

Sara

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I switched from the Hoegger feeder to the lambar because the nipples constantly have to be replaced because they leak once the kids start chewing on them.

Sara's baby lambars are adorable! I am stealing that idea this year for sure :biggrin

Christy

5. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Would anyone like to feel me in on Sara's lambars? Is it already posted on here? I've made several small ones as starter lambars, but having them on it at a day old, never. More like around 7 days old.

Thanks for replies! Just wish they were fixable.

Wendy

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Hi Wendy,

I just made mini lambars out of 1 gallon pails. The tubes are shorter and the milk is at the level of the nipple so therefore it is easier for the babies to suck the milk up through the tubes. I hang the lambars in my baby pens.

I don't know if there is a photo posted somewhere on the forum. If not, I will take a picture of one this evening and post it for you.

Sara

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

In WalMart you can get those rubbermaid type plastic containers with lids that hold cereal and make a lambar out of it also for the little ones. I have one that I put 2 nipples on and bungie corded it to the inside of the little pen when they are first born. It sits flat against the fence.

8. I use a lambar here to. They are life savers!

I do bottle feed colostrum to the kids, too make sure they get enough. I'm paranoid. lol Once the colostrum is used, I start them on the lambar with goats milk.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

same here but am making the board with an ice chest this year instead of a bucket. have the pattern if anyone want it will post

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, Sondra...post the pic. and plans. I saw it in a photo from WR but didn't REALLY look at it.
    Kaye

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Who was it on here who made the foldgers coffee can mini lambars? We copied that for new babies It workd well. little tiny 7 inch or so tube.

12. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I'm laughing at myself this morning at my use of feel. Sorry, totally exhausted!

Thanks again everyone for the ideas. The feeder leaked worse this morning than it ever has. Will go back to the tubing but shorter.

Wendy

13. coso

coso Guest

Yes, Sondra please post the plans for that feeder. There was a article on the cooler lambars in UCN or DGJ not long ago and they had the lamb bar nipples on the side of the cooler I thought ?? But I couldn't really tell. When y'all go to free feed on the lambar like this do you feed the cold milk right from the start? I was just thinking when I start kidding in February it is going to be awful cold for those new babies to drink cold milk right off. I thought about giving it to them warm until they got older and the weather was a little warmer then slowly change to the cold. How do y'all do it. :shrug

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

http://khimairafarm.com/Kids.htm
    above is made from a rubber maid tub.

Don't know where I found this but this is what I am making.

[​IMG]

However I will be using wood below and not metal

[​IMG]

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Wow Sondra, that's pretty cool ! Would you set in on a bench or something to get it to the required height? I would think that it would sag if just clamped on one side.. ?

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes the cooler will be set on a bench which of course we will build out of old sign board :)

17. Theresa

Theresa New Member

That is a good idea with the ice chest. OK Sondra I want to see that when you get it made. I am thinking that would keep the milk a little better in our heat then just the bucket.
    Theresa

18. coso

coso Guest

I was looking back and the May 2008 issue of UCN was the one that had the free feeding cold milk article and pictures in it. If any one wanted to look at it.

19. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Help me understand the purpose of the baffles. Are they used to separate the kids and nipples?

20. coso

coso Guest

I think what the deal is with the baffle is that with those lambar nipples you are going to have to have something thin enough that when you pop the nipple through ( like on a lambar bucket you stick the nipple through the back side of the drilled hole then pull it to lock it in). You couldn't do that with a cooler because of the thick walls. So you would have to put something on the outside of the cooler to drill holes in and mount so the nipples would work right. Clear as mud??? :/ :biggrin