Multi-birth ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Is it the buck that determins multi-births ?

I am believing it must be as I had a Boer doe deliver triplets yesterday and another Boer doe deliver triplets this morning and I have another Boer doe going into labor and this Boer doe had our first triplets last season :/ I really am not wanting all these triplets.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't know because I have 3 does that have triplets normal but all the does were bred to the same buck in past years and some had singles some had twins and these three had triplets. Plus I would be inclined to think it has more to do with the doe as to how many eggs drop but could also be attributed to the buck as to how long his swimmers stay active once implanted to fertilize all those eggs. Also why would PG-6000 or hormones be used on the doe which in turn cause multiple births. Just stating things here as I am certainly no expert.

3. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I'm sure you are right about the doe's with their eggs !
    I was just very surprised when I had another set of triplets this morning after yesterdays set as we have had 3 doe's deliver triplets in a row now and to me that's odd . It could be from the HC worm deaths from 2 spring seasons back as this spring we have several does that had just 1 kid ,when they have always had 2, even tho these doe's didn't get ill , they could have been affected or even our buck could have been affected, just strange. I will really be wondering if the doe that's starting in labor has triplet's again :O

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I would think it would be the doe who determines the number of kids. This is why we flush does to get multiples. If you're getting lots of triplets, I would imagine that means your does went into their pregnancy in good shape. When I raised Boers, I always liked having triplets because it meant more goats for the meat market. I would pull and hand raise doelings I wanted to use or sell as brood does and let the dams raise the other two kids for meat. Kathie

5. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

yep, I like the whole herd in good shape, them mama's look great after kidding with Lot's of milk, I dont want to pull kid's and feed them as I have baby chicks in my tub in a large box :( and I want to encourage the mama's to feed and rear them , the first doe that had 3's reared them without any help, so far the Saturday doe is doing great with her 3 and the doe today had a aggressive kid that cant stand on hind legs yet (floppy) ,but the other 2 are jumping around ,so I am going out and making sure the baby is getting to suck and this kid is aggressive and alert.. guess I will be going out every 3 hours tonight and seeing that the kid sucks.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I may be wrong (been there before)......but I think that it's the buck that determines the sex of the kids, ...but that it's all on the doe's end in determining how many she carries.

Sounds like you 'bout got your hands full... :crazy

Whim

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

no. The doe will have as many eggs as are fertilized...and SHE determines how many eggs are released.

Otherwise she'd have a kazillion for how many spermies that the buck has. LOL

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Well actually :) She not only controls how many eggs that are released but how many eggs she implants and even throughout the pregnancy she can abort some or all of the kids if her nutritional needs aren't meant.

We know in Nubians that if a doe comes from a quad litter she will quad sometime in her lifetime if her nutrition is optimum, but (unless hormone treated) you can't get a doe who has triplets only in her pedigree to ever have quads even in the same barn on the same feeding program. So although a doe can control alot of this, it's only to a point. Vicki

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

"She not only controls how many eggs that are released but how many eggs she implants and even throughout the pregnancy she can abort some or all of the kids if her nutritional needs aren't meant.
    "

Right. But what I meant when I said that the doe controlled it is that it is the doe and not the buck that determines the number of kids by how many eggs that she has.

The buck shoots out millions of sperm. Each one could theoretically make a kid...but wont make anymore kids than the eggs that the doe has ready and waiting.

Same as people. Except for identical twins (which are a fluke), twins or even higher level multiples are only made when the mother has more than one egg out and ready to be fertilized.

10. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Why don't you want triplets :/??? I'll take 'em ;).

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I just think 2 teat doe's do better with 2 kid's as I dont worry ,easier on me and the doe :biggrin
    So far so good ! I posted photo's of the babies on our web site boertrekfarm.com ,they are pretty and all jumping around (small kid herd) and I have curly fur boer babies :really ,like a sheep..strange !

12. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Adorable babies, Linda! You're goats are very pretty ;).

13. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We love triplets - just need a good doe with excellent milk and mothering ability.

Shannon kidded the end of July with Quads and is a two-teated Fullblood Boer. Her udder (very well-attached I must add) was the size of an uddered up Saanen. She fed all 4 kids beautifully. At 6 weeks of age they were 35 lbs (buck), 28, 28 and 26 (3 does). We weigh them then when we are giving them their Di-Methox and chart their weight. So 117 lbs. worth of kids at 6 weeks - I'll take it!

And of course with these genetics, these doelings are in greater demand than just meat, but if we were commercial breeders, I'd be pretty happy with does like that! Camille

14. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Thanks, I am proud of our Boers and breed for show quality and health . All the kid's are just doing great and all are getting plenty of milk , the mama's have patience with suckling the odd kid out and they are growing :D