Muenster

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by homeacremom, Apr 2, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Looking at the recipe in Home Cheese Making. I can make this one without a press!! So what kind of mold are you supposed to use? That would be the mold to drain it in not the moldy mold to flavor with. :rofl

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

You can use a Camembert or a Tomme mold.
    Christy

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

can we have a recipe for Muenster PLEASE

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Yeah recipes. You know, so I can look and drool over something I'll never make. :rofl

Sara

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

prabably me too :) gracious I need some milk

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I'll post the recipe after I make it, hopefully this week. I prefer to post them after I have made it, just in case someone has a question :D

Christy

7. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I had to go order a few molds so that I can do it right. GOOD for you in getting a batch going Christy! Now I can ask you questions. :D

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I made the one in Ricki Carrol's book and just used the B. linens that we got in the coop. It is in the brine now and I start misting the mold tonight :biggrin

I bought the culture and the mold for swiss today!!!

Christy

9. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Christy, did your B linens perform as expected? I'm on day 10 now and not much of any color developed... Everything was exact as per the Home Cheesemaking recipe except for the aging temp at 68* instead of 60* which was the best I could come up with. Humidity I don't have a way of checking yet but should be high enough...

10. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Mine didn't develop color either! I wonder... they did say the mold was most likely b linens maybe it is something else :/

Christy

11. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Hmmm... well at least I know it was yours also and not necessarily an error on my part. Wonder what kind of cheese we have? !

12. Leo

Leo New Member

Hi,
    I made muenster 2/3 weeks ago, and mine never developed color either :shrug, I used B.linens too. For me though my fridge was too cold (45F), I wasn't sure if that was the problem or if the mold would 'magically' appear under the wax? It smells good though.
    Megan

Ps. I found this on Artisan_cheesemakers:
    It may work -- perhaps depends on how salty the surface is. Not
    that P.c.
    > specially dislikes salt, but salt is apt to produce a long-lasting
    wet
    > surface and P.c. likes it somewhat drier. Linens on the other hand
    loves it
    > wet, in fact it soon creates its own wet environment.
    >
    > But ... don't give up on linens, just because you haven't bought
    any. It's
    > all around you. If the temperatures are ok (not too icy cold),
    humidity up,
    > and cheese surface never dries off, you'll get B. linens whether
    you want it
    > or not. Build it and they will come (didn't someone say something
    like that?
    > I always thought that was a silly movie, but if baseball was an
    analogy for
    > cheesemaking, then it made sense after all). One way of getting
    just the
    > right conditions by mistake is by leaving the moist young cheese
    wrapped in
    > plastic film for a few days.

13. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I just cut my 6 month Muenster. yum! a little dry, almost crumbly, but a creamy melt in your mouth texture. Very salty. Nice deep, nutty flavor without any strong, bitter, or moldy tastes. I had half expected it to get a red tinge under the wax. No color. :/
    This muenster is nothing like anything I've had by that name. A similar mild, nutty flavor, but the muenster (from Amish country stores) is soft in a mozarella or maybe jack type. It's been 2-3 years since I had any... Anyone know if this recipe (Ricki Carroll's) could make that type? I doubt with a brine bath that it can make a soft textured cheese....

Now that cheese dreams have resurfaced I am eager for next spring's freshening and we haven't even started drying off from this year! Just yesterday I was looking forward to the break in milking! :lol

14. Leo

Leo New Member

When I made the muenster(Ricki Carroll's recipe), I misted it for a week, then waxed it to age and was able to get some mold coverage, not as heavy as I'd like but it was a start. Mine was semi-soft, easy to slice, creamy.

I'm not sure what the muenster from the Amish country stores are like, but I did see a jack that was amazinly soft, I'm not sure how they didn't but, I'd like to know too. :D

Me too! I've started my list of what to do, prepping my kidding kit, and fixing my kid coats, etc. I'm definitely going to make a Parmesan, more muenster, etc.
    Megan

15. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Me too!! I try to make most of my cheese in the spring I just get too busy once summer starts.

Christy