Moving from the dry Hill Country to the not so dry East Texas - worm info please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by FourMileFarm, Aug 8, 2008.

1. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

OK, so my vet that I raise Boer orphans for has told me horror stories about goats and worms in East Texas. He used to be a vet over in that area in his younger days and he says I will have to deworm pretty darn often.

So, my questions for yall:
    How often do you worm?
    What do you use?
    Same stuff for kids as for adults?

We will be there in a week or so! I sure hope this move doesnt stress the goats too much. It's a 10 hour drive! :nooo

Anyone live near Carthage?
    Do you have predator problems?
    What do I need to know about living in a totally different climate than my girls are used to?

THANKS!!
    Rachel

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Welcome Rachel!

Fig Forest & I are both fairly close to you. I think I am 30min from Carthage.

I have no real predator issues here with the goats though I have lost chickens to 2 legged & 4 legged scoundrels.

I have only had goats here so not sure what to tell you except... put your goat shelters on HIGHER ground not at the bottom of a hill... rain WILL be an issue.

I worm with cydectin. I do use valbezan the first round or two with babies and I am trying to do ivomec + once at 100days bred.

OH water is NASTY here and Carthage is worse!!! So definitely add something to their water in the beginning to encourage them to drink.

Not sure what is a good feed store up there... I know we are not real fond of Carthage Ag & Vet... ask Fig Forest where she buys feed. I shop at Boles in Center.

3. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Hi Rachel! I live in Carthage, are you moving here?

We live on 100 acres of deep forest. I have about 20 goats at the moment; they are primarily browsers, so I have been lucky enough to avoid the horrible worm problems that others have had. I work at a vet clinic and check fecals fairly often, and worm as needed. I have been trying to follow the protocol that is posted in Goatkeeping 101, a sub-forum here.

As far as predator problems, we have coyotes, feral hogs, bobcats, raccoons, 'possums, and snakes (!) I have 3 Anatolian Shepherd dogs that keep the coyotes off the property. We have not had any problems with them, although we have had issues with the snakes coons and possums. (They go after our chickens, not the goats-LOL!)

IF I can help you in any way, let me know! :)

Donna

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Most folks with worm burdens they can't control do not feed calcium. They do not bolus or feed a good enough loose mineral with a high enough PPM of copper that isn't just copper sulfate.

Keeping worm burdens low is a whole management plan, not just worming more often.

Will your place be pasture or will you have wooded browse? vicki

5. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Thanks all for the replies!
    My husband will be working out of Carthage, and we will be temporarily staying with my sister until our house here sells. She lives east of Carthage just 1/2 mile from the LA border. After our house here sells we will be looking for land WEST of Carthage simply because we think it's too trashy looking the closer you get to LA. :crazy No offense to anyone!!
    While staying in a travel trailer on my sister's land we will have the goats in moveable pens. I will be taking them out to browse as much as possible. The fencing there holds their bulls in, but won't hold goats. (I wont be taking them for walks in the bulls' pasture!)
    Once we can buy our own land we will be looking for as much wooded land as possible - just need a little pasture for our horse and cow.
    We are taking 9 goats with us - two milkers, the buck, one yearling, 3 Nubian doe kids, 1 Boer doe kid, and 1 blind Boer wether that my daughter is going to show in 4-H.
    We also have 4 Boer wethers for show first (meat later) that are going to be staying with a good friend for a few weeks until we get pens set up for them.
    We have kept up with cocci treatments for all the kids and they eat a medicated feed.
    For the older goats we feed Bluebonnet TechMaster Complete for a mineral, and I mix alfalfa pellets, BOSS, and oats for their feed.
    We've been worming with Cydectin lately but havent had to do it very often.
    Thank you all so much for the info!
    I was SO surprised to only see a couple places with goats when we went over there for a visit in July. Here there are goats everywhere you look. 99.5% Boer goats of course! We are the odd ones here since we have dairy goats. We dont breed Boers, we just raise Boer orphans for people and that is how our kids usually get their show goats.
    Does anyone know anything about showing goats in 4-H in Panola County? We have the Boer wethers but my daughter would LOVE love love to show Nubians.
    I will go check out the worming protocol - thanks Donna! Can you get pure alfalfa pellets in Carthage? I can only get them one place here - the other places add animal fat!! :twisted
    We have 2 GP's that will be staying with the wethers for a few weeks but will eventually be penned with the goats.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

get you some more tech master before you move as you may not be able to get it later.

7. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Rachel,
    Definitely stock up on your Techmaster minerals, like Sondra mentioned, because I have not been able to find it around here. I purchase my alfalfa pellets from the feed store in downtown Carthage, it does not list anything of the tag but dehydrated alfalfa.....if I run out, they do carry some at TSC- although I hate going there.

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Boles carries good alfalfa pellets about 40-45min from where you'll be

I know some who have shown goats 4H in Panola... we don't do 4H though so no personal info... But go in and talk to Margie Brown in the H&R Block office there in Carthage... she has grandchildren involved in 4H and is a sweet lady.

9. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

Won't TSC order the minerals for you?
    That's how I get them here. It typically takes a couple weeks and 15 phone calls before they finally get it done but I do have a new bag that will last me a long time with only 10 goats.

10. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Rachel,
    I think you must have more patience than I do- LOL! I waited 2 months and made about 10 calls before I gave up........I just found a source for Cargill Right Now Onyx minerals, so I am giving them a try.....if I do not like the results I will gather the strength to give TSC a go again........

11. FourMileFarm

FourMileFarm New Member

We are going to be packed in like sardines or I would bring you some! :)

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Donna it took almost 4 months to get ours I think... it can be very very frustrating!

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

and also right now we are not even sure that they will continue to have those minerals because of selling out to another company. Am waiting now to see it they are still making it.