Moved kids - worming time?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Jun 16, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

I moved the baby girls to an indoor/outdoor pen. Part of it is where the adults have been before-- i was wondering if/when I should worm them. They had been in the barn in an area where I have never had goats.
    Will definitely keep up on the Cocci prevention.

I have never wormed them before, they are almost 2 months old. Hmmm goatkeeping 101 says to worm day 20 with Valbazen for tapes-- I didn't think tapes were anything to worry about?? hmm I guess I need clarification-

thanks!

Susie

added: went back one more time and read-- it says I should be worming on a regular basis-- I'm concerned about resistance developing...I never noticed it said this before Babies are growing great but want to do it right-- so any input appreciated!

Thank you :)

2. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Tape worms are not a problem for adults, but they are a problem for kids. I worm mine for tapes when I do their every 21 days cocci preventative.

Leslie

3. susie

susie New Member

Oh I see . I have Valbazen and cydectin both- I think I will do the Valbazen today and do Cydectin from now on. What would be the best time frame to do the cydectin-- date of move into new pen compared to date of worm larva hatching.. does that make sense? In other words, how many days from first exposure to hatching of larva?
    Thanks!

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hi Susie

Let me be one to tell you, that if you are not running fecal test on your goats....then you are kinda worming hit and miss. Resistance to wormers is something to be concerned about, and the way that it begins is worming goats that may not even be wormy to start with.
    Around here, I've seen lots of folks who thought their young goats were wormy because they had "bad poops". They were pouring wormer down them once a week......come to found out after running some fecals...the goats problems stemmed from cocci, not worms at all. Now, you've got to wonder just how much resistance those worms built up during that time to all this wasted wormer.

There is a great article in 101 that covers a bit about the tape worms, along with lots of other good advice.

Here it is; https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,2077.0.html

Whim

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Nobody can tell you the answers to your questions. Kids on sterile ground and then moved right now onto pens that have been frequented by adults will ingest larve and eggs only if the grass is mown short or they eat off the ground or they can get their feet into their feed or hay. So 11 days, 21 days or never is your answer. In your very copper defficient area your goats may have limited ability to build any immunity to worms or cocci because of being in nutritional stress all the time.

The best answer is whim's, learn to fecal, then you aren't guessing anymore. Even though I fecal I do worm my kids and cocci treat on schedules until the kids are 8 months old and well grown, and being bred. Anything else I have tried to do has given me kids with parasties loads way to high and making some kids not make weight at 8 months. Right now my mid March kids are 50 pounds, being wormed and started on cocci treatments this morning...I couldn't get these weights without prevention, or being out in the pens and fecal sampling weekly.

Most resistance is caused by not worming with the correct amount or by using worm meds injected or poured on...this gives the adult worms snack amounts of the meds, killing few and letting some get used to those amounts and live through the worming....if you hit them again with that amount it doesn't even stop them from sucking blood. Soon you have to move your dosages higher and higher, or it stops working completely. Or alternating wormers, gets them used to two chemical classes as fast as they get used to one in a normal herd. Vicki

6. susie

susie New Member

I forgot to mention that I do know how to do fecals. i only do them though if I see a goat that has loose poop , I don't automatically worm and especially I suspect cocci before worms in kids. I'm not on a worming schedule although I do worm the day of kidding and ten days later though, that is my only real schedule, oh and at 100 days bred too ... so I guess I am on a worming schedule :) That's why I was questioning the schedule with kids.
    I'll go read the article you linked, whim. added-- Oh yep, that's the one I RE-READ and discovered the part about tapes-- like I said, I mis-understood about tapes in kids, I thought tapes were not a problem for kids and adults... just adults tho-- they ARE a prob for kids. What kind of trouble do they cause kids? Curious.
    Thanks!!

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

8. susie

susie New Member

Thanks Sondra!