Mosquitos

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Jun 29, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

With all the rain we had at the beginning of the month, we have a bumper crop of mosquitos at our place now. Between the bugs and the heat, my goats are uncomfortable and production is down a bit. I have some of the equine Bronco fly spray with citronella scent I use on the goats, but it contains insecticide and is supposed to be rationed to every other day. Is there a good and safe product that can be used 1-2 times a day on the goats to keep them comfortable, which is OK to use on goats used for milk? Kathie

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have some of the equine Bronco fly spray with citronella scent I use on the goats, but it contains insecticide and is supposed to be rationed to every other day.

Does it say that on the container or something? Vicki

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I just read the label and it says you can apply daily. The other brand of the same insecticide says every other day. It does say not to use on animals under three months old, but I've had to use it on younger goatlings or they get bit up. Of course, they are referring to horses and dogs. Nothing seems to be labelled for goats. I hate spraying with pyrithrins too often. What I'd like to find is a citronella spray for animals you can safely use a couple times a day if needed or on young animals. I have this stuff by Burts Bees I use on myself that is supposed to be safe for pets, but is big time expensive. I'm looking for something like that in a bigger spray bottle for livestock. I've also tried products like Yard Guard in the goat houses and yard, but it doesn't seem to last very long. Kathie

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I've used Nature's Defense and Flick's fly sprays before with good results.

5. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

We use Skin So Soft from Avon. Seems to work great here.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep me too I mix SSS with vinegar, witch hazel, eucalyptus eo, citranella eo and water and spray on even use it on myself and grandkids.

7. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I have herd about using sss for year but have never tried it on myself or anything else, does anyone know why the sss works? I mean what makes it work?
    I guess I have never tried it because it sounds so oily.

About 10 years ago at Wal Mart they had a clearance on some kind of spray stuff (for people) it came in a plastic non aerosol spray bottel and it was just citronella oil I think and I think it was just called Sam's and it was only $1.00 a bottle it was the best stuff I ever used. I wish they still had it. Does other Wal Marts still carry this anyone know??

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl For once, I was able to watch the Today show this morning...and you know what the #1 best thing for mosquitos was?? 1. 98% DEET~Deep Woods OFF 2. Permetherin based sprays 3. FANS. yeah, granted this was for people, but it will work for goats too.
    It was also stated that the DWO would work for 12 hrs.-less if you sweat, Permethrin based for 4 hrs., and the fans for how ever long you run them.

Uh, I think the cost of DWO would be prohibitive, there are cheaper permetherin based animal sprays and fans run here anyway. Just putting this useless info. out there to ponder. ;)
    Kaye

9. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

One of the things that I find helps are those mosquito dunks.. they go in the chicken water, the outside tubs, the pond - generally anything outside that holds water. I try to make sure there aren't any reservoirs for breeding mosquitoes around and keep things that get filled with rainwater emptied.

10. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I never put DEET on my skin, just on clothing. The smell masks the carbon dioxide you breathe out,. CO2 is what draws the mosquitos. Thats why fans work so good if youre really close to them- it blows the carbon dioxide away and the little buggers dont have a homing beacon to use.

I wonder if you could use DEET on a large handkerchief or something similar twisted in their collar? and then renew it every day? You wouldnt need to use as much, and its only near the head anyway.

I didnt know permethrin worked well for mosquitos, good info, thanks. That would make a good coat spray. It's in lots of different insect sprays, Ive got a bottle I'm still using from last year that wasnt that expensive, its a concentrate you mix yourself, I use it for flea dip, fly spray on the horses and cows, fly spray in the area by the milk room, etc. IIRC its 10% and you just dilute it down for each different use. I just look at the concentration on the label of the high priced brand of whatever I'm going to use it for, then dilute to get that concentration. Saves a bunch of money that way, instead of getting alot of different products that do the same thing.

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

My girlfriend just sent me an e-mail that stated that Listerine sprayed around your outdoor seating area/deck etc. not only was a mosquito deterrent but that it actually killed the mosquitos as well. Should be pretty cheap... don't know how you feel about spraying listerine on your girls, but it could be worth a shot.

Camille

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

They actually showed some clothing that is permeated with Deet. The army uses the clothing too. Course that doesn't hold much crediance with me...since they banned Dragon Skin...but one of the things is a bandana with the Deet on it. So it's feasable. I just wonder what happens to the deet when you wash the clothing.?? I assume it's washed out.... Here's me trying to find logic in high priced clothing when the intended determent is washed out. :lol
    Kaye

13. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I have been contemplating getting some lizards!! Just kidding. The flies are the worst for us right now, we do have some skeeters but we have zillions of flies! Ick I think our town has sprayed for skeeters which helps a bunch.

Anne

14. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I just got some "basic H" and it seems to be working wonders when mixed with water and sprayed around the barn for flies and mosquitos. Now lizards I have plenty of if your ever in need you are welcome to some of mine...I see them all the time and I still jump when I move a feed bag and one leaps at me...LOL

Paula

15. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I am no help, but wanted to mention if you have cats (that you want to keep around) don't use a permethrin that would get on them or on anything they would rub on. Permethrin is toxic to cats.

I think its Permethrin...either that or Pyre....how ever that other one is spelled, but I am almost 100%positive it is permethrin that will harm cats.

I have used SSS, SSS and Water, Bronco and Bronco Gold (mosquitos), and a Permethrin based concentrated livestock spray on my horses for years. Depending on cost of SSS it seems the most efficient. Bronco I had to use every 3 days, Bronco Gold every other day, the Permethrin spray every 5 days, but I am not a big fan of the chemicals in the sprays...I really liked the results of the Permethrin spray, but now not sure how it would be for dairy goats in milk......

Sarah

16. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I don't find this to be true in the least. We use permethrin spray on the goats, dogs and premise and have for years with no ill effects on our cats. I don't spray the cats but I also don't worry about them rubbing on anything with permethrins.

Sara

17. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I keep a spray bottle of permetrin, SSS, white vinegar and water mix at my barn and it also goes to the show with me. I detest trying to set a goat up in the ring and those flies and gnats won't let me or the doe stand still.
    I mix in a large soda bottle.. then refill when the small hair spray bottle gets empty. It also seems to keep the deer flies and horse flies at bay. We have 'skeeters' also.. and I use it on the does and on me. Seems to work for them also.
    Course.. I would post my recipe if I could find it. :crazy

18. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I agree with Sara regarding cats. I've used permethrin and louse dust on the goats and their bedding and the cats aren't harmed. I've also used Yard Guard outdoors. What you don't want to do is spray or dust cats with insecticides meant for dogs or livestock. When you actually apply it to a cat, it is absorbed through the skin and damages the cat's liver. It's also important not to overuse flea spray or dip meant for cats. They are really sensitive to lots of products, but I've never had a problem with them getting sick from my treating other animals. Kathie

19. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I am glad you have had no problems. I just know my mom was given a permethrin mix to use in her backyard from a company rep and told not to let her cat out as it will kill him. Perhaps full strength permethrin is more of an issue than others. Same with I believe it is K9 Advantix or maybe Advantage one of the two clearly says do not use on cats because it contains permethrin.

20. shawhee

shawhee Member

Here is what I use on my horses (I have only had my goats about 3 weeks), and will use on my goats. I try to be natural and dont like spraying chemicals heavily on my animals. I found this recipe and have used it with really good success for the last 5 years. I found it on rural heritage.

4 16oz bottles of SSS
    40cc's (about 5 tablespoons) Eucalyptus oil
    enough white vinegar to make a gallon.

It works wonderful on flys, gnats and mesquitos.

Regards,
    Shawna