"More/Very dairy"

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mysacrificenubians, Oct 9, 2008.

1. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

When people state that a doe is "very dairy", what does that really mean?

Can someone point me to some photos where I can see what they mean in comparision to a doe that is not very dairy?

What about bucks?
    If I have a doe that isn't very dairy, what should I be looking for in a buck to breed her too?

2. shawhee

shawhee Member

I would love a show and tell with pictures on conformation. I am always wondering. Like when you see a level doe vs a very uphill doe - is uphill a good thing? Or did they stand them on a hill (lol). How wide over the top should they be. I know horses and cattle, but not goats.

Shawna

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Dairy is something you have to put your hands on and FEEL. It doesn't necessarily jump out at you just looking at a doe, although of course she should look like a dairy goat.
    Dairy is the flatness and spring of rib, the pliability, thinness, and fineness of skin, the texture and feel of the udder.... We all like those huge milk veins that run underneath the belly, and I like to see the veins that cross above the hocks.

Uphill is an excellent thing! You want that! They should be as wide as possible over the top. Not over the withers, but you want a wide rump that is flat from thurl to thurl. A well sprung rib cage with lots of capacity. The doe should look wedge-shaped when viewed from behind. In front, you want a wide chest, lots of width between the front legs. Legs should come straight down, and knee pads and toes face directly frontwards.

There really are only minor differences between judging horses/cows/dogs etc. Good confirmation is the same across them all.

Tracy

4. mysacrificenubians

mysacrificenubians New Member

If I took some pictures of my doe and doelings, could someone point out to me what they think their good/bad points are?

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Kathleen.....I think you would be better served by getting somebody like Vicki to critique your Nubi's on a more private bases.......but I'll tell you first hand....be ready to take comments "open minded" , and not be easy to get your fellings hurt if the comments don't agree with you.

I would also suggest that you find pics of winning doe's at the "better competition shows" like Nationals.

I love Tracy's comments about "hands on and feel".....so being very dairy to me goes much further than having a good body.

With me, it also means having the "will to milk". .....it means good milk let down......teats that milk flow out of without almost having to bruise her.......it means that I can depend on her day in and day out to give me X amount of milk on a regular bases.......it means that she is as proud to see me coming with the milk pail as I am to see her. ....it means that she converts pounds of feed into pounds of milk in a productive manner............and at least for me here at my place, it means that she is almost "trouble free" and is a pleasure to own. ......and I don't care how pretty they are, Bone heads don't eat my feed for very long here.

So the term "very dairy" may go a bit further with me than with some folks......but it's that "hands on and feel" part that I try to take one step further in full filling that term "very dairy" for me.

Whim

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It was helpful for me to have an experienced goat breeder show me on her does what I'm supposed to be looking for. I got the chance to not only see, but feel the animals. When I want to know how my goats measure up, I show them and listen to what the judge and other goat breeders have to say. Kathie

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And alot of folks use the term "very dairy' to simply mean a doe who is very narrow. Rail thin, long does. Management and skeletal strength. So make sure when someone is saying dairy to you that they are actually stating reasons out of the dairy character scorecard, and not dairy as in fine boned, narrow throughout and no flesh that it usually means. vicki

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol I was thinking this...but you beat me to it. Emaciated animals is NOT dairy character, as some people would lead new people to believe! Yes, they milked flesh off because they weren't being taken care of properly, wormed or even fed min. requirements for their production.
    Kaye