More teat/udder problems

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, May 28, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I posted about this doe earlier having sores on one side of her udder. I pulled the lamb she was nursing and have been cleaning them with clorhex. I put and ointment on at night to hopefully help with the sore and because she's a little chapped. The old ones are getting better and healing, but she's cracking around where the teat meets the udder and getting another sore on the same teat that looks like it might have pus in it. I wasn't too awful worried about the cracking, she is still nursing her two kids and milking alway irritates it, although I've been using one of those maggidan milker things and not milking her out by hand. And this new sore could be nothing, too, but it makes me wonder when they are all on the same side. The other side has had no problems whatsoever. As of this morning, no abnormal temp, still eating well, sensitive on that side, but that's understandable. She does let the kids nurse on that side. The teat on that side is harder than the one on the other side, swollen or congested feeling. The udder itself feels fine in that regard, not hot or hard or anything that struck me as abnormal. Is she just having a hard time with little ones and that side, or could it be something else? :help

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well a staph infection comes to mind. and I would not use any ointments that stay on the udder or teats. Because your introducing more bacterial adhearing to the ointments. If for instance this is poison ivy or oak by chance then it is just going to keep spreading with ointments you need to dry it up. Do you have fire ants as these will make for sores etc. have you had her tested for mastitis is she running any temp?

3. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Her temp is fine. Have not had her tested for mastitis yet. I did send some stuff into a lab for butter fat testing, and since it was a friend, they were going to somatic cell count and all that stuff as well. Isn't somatic cell count for mastitis? If so, I should have an answer to that pretty soon. Definitely not poison oak or anything like that. If only we were that green. :)
    How would I check for staff? And if it is, what do I do about chapped teats? She just has to deal with it for now? And how will all this affect the babies? They won't be used for reproduction, but still don't want to do them in just yet.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

You can use udder cream etc and massage it in good but don't leave sticky residue on the out side. after rubbing in then use warm clean rag with your cloredex stuff and wipe off excess

5. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Thanks Sondra!

Should I get this cultured or something? Or just assume and treat? If so what do I use? I'm assuming an antibiotic, but what (or does it matter) and how much?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK I'll tell you what Sue Reith told me when I thought it was staph (I would say you need a scrapeing and know for sure what your treating) BoSe pr body weight every day for 10 days also pen G every day for 10 days. use a fungal spray. also the lysign given. Now that said this cleared up fine that year but this doe gets it every year and no mastitis and no one else gets it. SO I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS UP WITH HER and will do some scrapings now to make sure, but suspect it is an alergy to something. maybe me.

7. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Thanks!!

This stuff isn't as bad as mastitis, is it? If I'm a little slow on the uptake, I'm not going to end up with what's over on the OT board, am I?

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope unless you have mastitis :)

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ointments setlle into the folds by the teat and udder. Sealing it really because ointments and balms have petroleum in them. Underneath this layer is the prefect enviornment, wet and moist, to grow staph.

The chlorhexideen sprayed on the udder should be clearning this up and keeping the udder from being chapped.

Can you control the kids nursing, trap them away and only let them nurse twice a day, so you can spray her udder after nursing? This would also let them empty her udder so you don't have to milk her out, well unless you want the milk.

I also do what Sondra said with the bo-se. Improving her immunity and making sure your minerals are top notch will keep you from having problems like this. Those of us with humidity fight staph until the sun shines in the spring. vicki

10. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

If it makes any difference, my ointment is homemade. Still have stopped using it though.

The kids are locked up at night and in with her during the day. Is that enough, or should I lock them and let them nurse twice a day for (hopefully) better healing? I DO want milk, I just was figuring that milking by hand would exacerbate the cracked area. This doe has teats about an inch long, so it's quite a process.

I'll try the bo-se. It's a pretty small dose, isn't it? We tend to have problems with too much selenium in the soil around here, at least with cows. My minerals just suck. I'm trying to find something different, but without too much selenium. And that doesn't cost twice the price just to ship. As someone else suggested a while back, I may look at cow minerals.

At least I don't have humidity! :)

Thank you guys SO MUCH!!!

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

talk to people around you with goats and see if they use BoSE also remember that goats don't graze like cows so their selenium is not gleaned by your ground most likely. the feed you get probably isn't local and high in selenium so you may need more selenium than you think also have Vit E in the BOSE makes it non toxic. All this is just food for thought.

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes always know when we give advice it's from selenium defficient, copper defficient, iorn rich Texas :)

I was thinking more along the lines that the kids could nurse her out faster and more thoroughly if only on her twice a day, and eaiser on her than hand milking. Not letting them bump the udder of course and putting them away as soon as she was empty.

All this stuff just takes time, we like to rush it. I am going on at least week 4 of soremouth in a milker and although she is through the worst of it (she doesn't crack and bleed anymore at milking time) she has a long way to go from being healed. Vicki