More questions about kids and their CD & T shots, and doe on milkstand....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Mar 1, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, so my first kid of the season i huge !!! and 4 weeks old, per Vicki i was planing on giving him is CD & T shot at 3 and 6 weeks then again at 12 weeks, however i got confused and thought today he was three weeks, but he is actually 4 weeks, can i just give it to him today, and then again at 7 weeks and band him at 7 weeks too - or can i give it to him at 4 weeks then again and band at 6 weeks ? He is going to his new home April 1st ( or around that time ) so i'd like to get his band on and be able to watch him for a couple weeks before he goes. Also, is CD % T given IM or Sub. Q ? 2 ml each time right ? Where is the best place to give it to a kid ?

Ok, and i noticed when i bring my milking doe ( 7 days fresh - FF) in from outside to milk, as i milk her she shakes, granted it is very cold and everybody shakes once in a while, but i'm just very worried about milk fever and whatnot, and want to catch it right away if i ever have to deal with it. She has a good appitite, looks great, just shakes as i milk her, she is giving about 44 - 55 oz twice a day now. She get all the alfalfa pellet she will eat, grass mix hay, and her grain mix on the milkstand. plus lots of water. Is it normal, or should i do something ?

Thanks !!!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

oh I give CD/t and then 21 days later and then 21 days later.

as for your doe I would give her some cmpk orally either liquid cmpk or the homemade. just because I wouldn't want her going down. excessive shaking makes me worry if more so than all the others. It sure won't hurt her.

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I have some oral cmpk i got from my vet, as a procaution then, how much should i give her, and i only have syringes with/out a needle for giving it - is this ok ? Is this also the stuff i've heard that burns their throat ? Thanks !

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If it is liquid CMPK I have never had a problem with it burning but you can delute it with gatoraid or pediolyte and syringe I would probably use 30 cc of the cmpk pm KAYE or Vicki and ask abt the liquid you have.
    If the bottle looks like this it doesn't burn.
    http://www.neeps.com/698306.html

5. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Yep - thats the bottle ! So just one dose of 30cc today then, or should i give her more ? Thanks Sondra !

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

would think one does today and one tomarrow see how she does.

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

As for giving the CD/T shots they can be administered sub-Q or IM. I read that on the bottle itself. VERY small print. :D I usually do it behind the shoulder for the older kids and adults. For the little ones I have not the experience with CD/T. I have given other little kid shots IM before. If their rumps have a little padding (lol) you can give it to them there.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I give everything I can SQ some antibiotics require IM to be effective but I just hate giving IM

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Have you ever tried giving it about 1/2 way between the elbow and last rib, at the bottom of the rib cage? This gives it room to swell and not cause lameness.

I give my babies their's in the same place. That gets rid of a knot, if one is left sticking out behind the shoulder.
    Kaye

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you Kaye. I have not tried that. I usually do it a little higher. Haven't noticed any swelling from shots I've given though as I gently massage the area after it has been administered. Thanks for the idea of doing it lower.

-Kim

11. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks guys ! I gave the doe the CMPK - she wasn't shaking anymore before i gave it to her and it had warmed up so i think maybe she was just cold, but i gave her one dose anyways just to be safe. And my buckling got his shot and it went very smooth - he was very easy to give it to, he had a LOT of meat on his bones already ! I was surprised, he is a little chunker !

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

good for you!!

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Some of my milkers shake also on the milking stand the first week or so...I think it's because they are nervous.