More Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Aug 12, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Just a refresher, I bought two does 10 days ago. One began scouring the day after she came....now feeling better. Both were pretty anemic, fixed with deworming of quest and follow up with valbazen 10 days after I did that. Also doing the probios, vit. b injections, and I will stop with the terraycin scours medicine (3 days on that after 5 days of pepto and 2 days o neomycin). They have never been vaccinated so where do I begin with thtat. The one sickly kinda doe is doing so much better, poop looks great today. Also whqat type of general vitamin should I be giving them?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

How old are these does?
    your general vitamin/minerals are done with a GOOD LOOSE Mineral
    start the full round of CD/T shots BoSE shots / Vit A/D shot
    any time new stock comes in here they are isolated and all of the above is done, plus worming/cocci meds if called for and test blood sent in for CAE and CL
    Go to Goat 101 and read Vicki's thread on management as it is a good rule of thumb.

3. Rose

Rose New Member

4. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

These are our only goats. Just starting out...They are about 18 months old. Freshened once. Weaned...doing the worming thing and the mineral supplements and b123 shots on the one who is just getting through scouring. She is actually putting on weight :) I read through the 101 thing, bu I guess I'm just not familiar with the whole "goat" lingo thing. I'll figure it out, thanks.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK lets see if I can simplify this for you.
    Every new goat to my farm (and I know you only have these so no need to isolate) are isolated from 30 to 60 days, while I run CL/CAE tests. As soon as I get them I worm them with cydectin and then in 10 days with either ivormec plus or valbazen , they get a full series of CD/T shots regardless if the previous owner said they had them or not, and I give it 3 times not just twice. They get a shot of BoSe which is selenium/Vit E and a vet RX only. and they get copper bolus and Vit A/D . After that I follow Vicki's advice which would be depending on the time of year I had just done the above. the does would get a BoSe and a CD/T booster and wormed , hoof trim etc 30 days prior to breeding them. another BoSe and cd/t booster 2 weeks prior to freshening.