More copper questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I've been reading all the mineral threads, as I'm still trying to get a handle on this subject. I know I'm low in copper here and I don't have the best mineral, it's high in iron. Anyway, I've been trying the bolus on my goats, but am still not happy. In some, I see some signs of improvement, but in one, there's no sign of improvement at all. She's 200+ pounds and I have been a little on the cautious side when it comes to dosing. I don't want to overdose her. Should I just give her the whole stinking calf bolus next time I do her or what? Last time, I tried 4 of the 00 size capsules. When I take a big one and break it down, I usually get 5 1/2 to six capsules. Any ideas?

2. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

i don't have my dosing paper right in front of me, but i think for a 200# goat a whole cow pill would still be a bit much..

I was under the impression that it should be done give or take every 5-6 months or so, how long has it been since the last bolus?

3. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I did her two months ago. The last time was 5 months before that. I've been going very slow, don't want to OD her, but would like to see some progress.

4. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

The dosage is 1 gram per 22 lbs. If your goat weights 200lbs them she needs 9 grams. A whole bolus is either 12.5 grams or 25 grams either way its too much to give a whole one. She would have to weight 275 lbs in order to give the 12.5 gram bolus.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Especially since the dosages came from the pacific northwest where none of us have that must defficency for them to have good liver biopsy on those dosages, I think over doing it is crazy. But do give the full amount.

Figure even with minerals that have too much iron in them, iron in your water and soil...the PPM's of copper in your minerals are likely zero, plus they are likely only copper sulfate. vicki