More colostrum questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Apr 28, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

At last I was able to heat treat colostrum without killing it - what a bear!!! I have a couple of does left to kid, one is pretty darn close, the other was due today, but doesn't look close (out of the two she's the only hand bred one!) So how long can I keep this in the fridge?

I also have some of Tracy's "liquid Gold" that is frozen in my deep freeze. How do I reheat the frozen stuff?the refrigerated stuff? i'm assuming microwaving is not good - so a water bath???

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

When I got out to the barn because someone is in labor I throw a bottle of frozen colostrum into a bowl of hot water. By the time I am back for it, it is defrosted. I then MICROWAVE it...oh the horrors :) 30 seconds, shake, 30 seconds shake, you want it warm 100 degrees at least to feed. Vicki

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Thank you thank you!
    I'm heading out to check on Capella now! she has disappeared into the goat shed when all the other does are out soaking up the rays...I have been seeing the beauty of handbreeding and luting these days!

4. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Slightly off topic, but I wanted to share.

A friend of mine shared her idea with me and now it is what I do. Freeze colostrum in ice cube trays, and then pop them out when frozen and put them all in a big ziplock. It makes it easy to thaw (smaller pieces), and I can only take what I need instead of all of it. Also, if I want to share some I don't have to thaw out the whole thing, and refreeze what I am saving.

~Anne

5. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Anne,
    That's actually what I did this last (FIRST!) delivery. I have a whole icetray of colostrum cubes (now in a baggie) in the freezer for "just in case" - I'm dam raising, so I'm hopeful each doe will have enough, but just in case. I also wanted to say thanks for the info on how to thaw it. With a doe due soon with only half an udder, I'm thinking I may need some of that saved colostrum if she has more than one kid. I also saved about a 2 liter bottle full of the first-week's milk, in case I had a doe to come into milk late. That may also come in handy. I wondered about microwaving the colostrum & milk. Now that I know it's okay, I won't worry so much. So, the next question - how many cubes of colostrum would be enough for a kid? How much should I defrost? I hate to waste it and defrost more than I need, but I also don't want to have too little....
    Kathy

6. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

In goat keeping 101 it says you should try to get 20 oz in the kid in the first 12 hours...
    Try just defrosting 8 oz then another 8 oz later? I know with my first round of kids this year I think I only got about 4 oz in per feeding each kid. Didn't quite make the 20 by 12 hours I think- more like 16.

7. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

Thanks Bethany. I need to get some reading in.. at least it's something to do while I stress and worry! :)

8. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

yeah, really. I'm sittin here on pins and needles...

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Am right with you have one ready to let loose any minute no ligs etc but not in labor at all yet. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr