More babies and a Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by andiplus5, Feb 27, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

We just had 2 more early this morning!! Another set of twins, doeling and buckling. Mr. Bill is throwing 50/50!!

My ?? is this. Dawn, my evil goat, hates me and all people, but she let me help her get the babies cleaned up and dried and lets me hold them. Flo, on the other hand, is my sweet, lovey baby and she rammed me 3 times this morning!!! She won't let me dry the babies off and she won't let me help them get milk. They are getting weak and trying to get milk, but can't seem to find it. For 3 or more hours now I don't think they've had any milk. What should I do? Flo's pretty adamant about those babies and is otherwise doing a great job. I'm hoping by the time I go back to the barn they will have gotten the hang of it. I'm just worried because I had to help Dawn's babies out by milking her out a little into their mouths, then they caught on. Even evil Dawn let me do that. :D Sweet Flo has turned on me!! lol Should I just give it time? :help

Thanks,

Andi

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The babies need colostrum. If this were my goat, I'd put her on the milk stand. Get help if you can't do it alone. Then milk out enough to feed the kids their first meal, or get the kids to nurse on the stand. The doe will be restrained so she won't be able to butt you. Kathie

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:yeahthat That is what I would do to. Those kids will only grow weaker the more time that goes by without a meal.

-Kim

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

tie her up to the fence if u don't have a milk stand head up high with another rope around her body under her butt and up tight against the fence get those babies on her or milk her and feed the babies. They will die if you don't. her teats may be clogged there is a wax plug that needs to be removed. sometimes by a flick of your figure on the tip of the teat get tha milk flowing/ No time to mess around those babies haven't had colostrum in 12 hrs let alone 24 they will die.

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I agree you either need to put her in a stand or tie her to the fence and get some milk in those babies or they will die...the sooner the better...time is ticking and you really only have 12 hrs to get it in them the sooner they get it the better they do...I had to tie mine and she got the hang really fast.

6. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

:down Ok, got the milk for the babies, but they aren't really hungry. It seems they have been eating from mom, but the boy is real weak. His front legs don't want to work right and his little belly is sunk in the middle. He doesn't even maaaa like his sister. She on the other hand is doing much better than this morning but her back legs keep buckling. What is wrong here???? :help :help :help
    Andi

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

If he is weak and not eating you will need to tube feed him. Do you have a weak kid syringe?

Babies cannot go for long periods of time without milk. It is important that you tube feed him right away if you want to try to save him.

Sara

8. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

do you have BoSe? That little buck will do wonders with some - could it be white muscle disease from having a copper deficient mom? I had one with that last year. I gave him some vitamin e as well. His legs were straight though - just a guess here.

But it sounds like he need food ASAP too.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep milk asap also give a 400 IU capsul of Vit E puncture and squirt in ea kid. helps with white muscle then get BoSe from your vet.

10. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Re: More babies and a Question/FKS????

:shrug Ok, took babies to the only vet I could find. (is wed. a vet holiday in OK?) Anyway, he gave them both 3 shots each, 1 antibiotic, 1 b12? and 1 selenium and??. Then he sent me to a man who raises dairy goats who GAVE me a frozen gal. of colostrum and a fresh pint!! Baby doe is doing better, but baby buck, not so much. Vet tried to tube but buckling found the last of his energy right then and fought like a wildcat. Vet basically squirted colostrum down his throat and made him swallow. Didn't get enough in him. Said the buck might have got too cold when he was born and his glucose levels dropped. But both of them are still having trouble walking and the buck looks starved. My dh's uncle (the ex-boer goat rancher) said it sounded like FKS to him and I should feed them baking soda and water and leave them with mama. What does everyone else think. The vet wasn't really much help so he only charged me $20. because he wasn't sure. So should I just treat them like it's FKS???:sigh
    Thanks,
    Andi

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Can your DH's uncle tube the buckling? Sometimes goat people find it easier to tube a kid than a vet. I'm surprised the vet didn't give the buckling some lactated ringers (it contains glucose) if he thought the kid's levels were down. That poor baby needs nutrition if he's going to live. I doubt they have FKS. I think it's a lack of nutrition. Just because a baby refuses a bottle doesn't mean it has nursed the dam, especially if it looks like it's starving. Keep working with them to get them to eat. My newborns usually prefer a Pritchard nipple on a pop bottle. Kathie

12. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

:D Hi Kathie, thank you. I actually got some colostrum down him with a pritchert nipple on a pop bottle! Then dh's uncle said baking soda and water and give them back to mom. He said that should do it. So after a little colostrum, they got baking soda and water and went back to mom. Now it has been an hour or more and they look GREAT!! Mom took them back instantly and they both latched onto her and drank!! It was awesome! The buck no longer looks starved either. They are still experiencing the floppy legs, doe's back left and bucks 2 front. Don't know why. But they are happy and tried to play a while ago. They kept falling but they got right back up and tried again. The buck is sad to watch because he falls on his knees and it takes a minute for him to get the strength to pick himself up again. But I am just grateful that he does. And they both are doing sooo much better than this morning. I left them with Flo who was very happy to have her babies back. Now we'll see how they are in the morning, but the prognosis is GOOD!! :woohoo
    Andi

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

give them some Vit E 400iu capsul squirted in mouth helps with white muscle which is what the leg problems are give it for a few days.

14. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

:biggrin Thanks Sondra, I will! Babies are doing much better this morning! :biggrin
    Still a little weak, but up and playing!
    Andi