Moldy Hay?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Katarina, May 25, 2008.

1. Katarina

Katarina New Member

How, can I tell moldy hay?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have always been able to tell because of my asthma, even as a kid my mom had me smell the horse hay when we were buying it. Way before you see mold you will have dust that isn't normal dirt from bailing. By the time you see black mold, the mold has already done it's damage. Most mold is from wet, and if you pull apart a bale and feel any heat, don't buy any of the load. That is about the extent of everything I know about hay :)

I haven't had a bad bale from Dewey or from Karen. Vicki Vicki

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I've also seen bales that had white mold on 'em. Usually I can smell it, it'll smell moldy, sometimes bitter (sour?), and not that sweet smell from nice clean hay.

4. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Hay that is put up wet feels twice as heavy, and when the bale is opened falls apart (If you are lucky) in hard flakes. Good hay falls apart in flakes, but they decompress.

Good hay smells clean, similar to the smell of freshly cut grass or a hayfield when you drive by. Moldy hay smells just like mold. Try to think about when the kids left a wet pool towel in the bottom of a hamper for several days.

Heat in hay is bad, very bad. Stay away from it at all costs.

Jolene

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep both white and black mold will be dusty etc and smell bad.