Molasses?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Narrow Chance, May 30, 2008.

1. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Okay.. I know I have read it somewhere.. heck.. may be here even, but why do we not want to much molasses in our feed?
    I am trying to rearrange my feed, getting tired of mixing it myself, and seems my girls just don't care for what they have been getting for a while now. Found some.. that is almost my mix.. but it has loads of molasses in it. My plan is to mix the Milk Flo pellets in with this all grain, molasses loaded feed. The reasoning is that this feed is $8 per 50# and looks wonderful.

2. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Thanks... won't be doing that then. I am fighting copper loss and don't need anything else to deplete it.

This thread can be deleted.

Rett

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Think about it. With oats $10 corn nearly that high and barley over here up around $15, how could they make a feed that has more labor to it, mixing it, sacking it for $8. Perhaps it was made in the same hopper that the oats or corn or barley were in one day but it certainly doesn't contain any real grain.

Sure you can find high fat all stock pellets in that range still, but what is in those pellets?

Vicki

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

besides which you will have bugs galore down here in the south. and mold

5. LMonty

LMonty New Member

if its coming from a local feed mill- are they making this feed themselves, or is it a commercial blend they ship in? If they make it themselves, you might be able to get a batch made up without molasses. They should be able to show you whats in it.
    IME the workers at most feed places are convinced that the feeds they mix will be "too dusty" unless they put molasses on it. Unless youve got something ground in it, like cottonseed meal, theres really no problem.

6. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

some feed I can get is a last years price for they pre bought it and so for that price that maybe what is going on.
    Deana

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have started mixing 1/2-1 scoop of sweet feed into my mix. But the rest is 4 scoops oats , 1/2 cracked corn, 1/2-3/4 of boss and 1/2 scoop of calf manna. Everyone milkers , pregos and kids get the same mix. The kids and newly fresh girls eat more with the little bit of molasses.

Patty