MM weight gain ??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Mar 7, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK on babies.... I know the min weight gain we want of full size goats...

but....

I have 2 4th gen MM twins here... b/d

buck was 4lbs at birth
    doe was 5lbs at birth

girl has remained ahead of the boy

at 5wks old today

buck is 11lbs 7lb increase in 5wks
    doe is 15lbs 10lb increase in 5wks

Does this look about right?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Haven't a clue I don't weigh them after birth except if they need drugs
    Sorry probably be still the average gain per month on any goat. or maybe Barb with ND has an idea on hers and would be abt the same.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

hmmm I guess I did not figure 10lb min a month on these since they do not get as big and we are not supposed to kid until their 2nd birthday vs their 1st...

hmmmmm.....

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I don't recommend breeding until at least 1 yr old and I do that because the breeder I got my start from didn't because of the ND influence and they never breed earlier than that. One that got accidently bred had a very rough delivery last year and a dead kid. Now on that same note my Boer breeder doesn't breed his boer does before 18 mo either so it maybe a personal thing. I didn't breed Ruby until she was 3 just because of her size but I bred her daughter at 18 mo and she was a smaller goat still. Kinda a guessing game but regardless don't think there is a 10 lb a month weight gain on these as there is in the lg dairy goats. Maybe the first few months but still think it would be a % based on birth weight. Guess I will do some weighing this year and see.

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

My 2 MiniMancha does will be 2 yr. old FF. If I can remember to do it, I will weigh the kids as they grow and see what kind of weight gain they have compared to full-sized LaMancha kids.

6. Harmony Goats

Harmony Goats New Member

I don't know but my 1st generation mini mancha when I got her at a month old was 10 lbs. Now at almost 6 months old she weighs about 35 lbs.

7. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Our first gen last yr grew almost as fast as our fullsize and we chose to breed her with the rest... but that was 1st not 4th.....

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep and there will be a whole lot of difference in the weights of the different generations. yours are gaining a little over a lb a week and probably will never weigh more than 50 60 lb when full grown.

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Looks like my male is avg. 1.4lbs per wk and the female 2lbs per wk...

10. Harmony Goats

Harmony Goats New Member

Well my mini mancha is 75% nigerian dwarf and 25 % lamancha. The lady that I got her from her minis and nigies and even some of her lamanchas were small.Phil and Dawn (the people that I got my mini from) said that the more you get to purebred the smaller they will get. They said that their 4th and 5th generations were smaller then their nigies(18in or smaller).

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep and Dawn knows Mini's I'll try and get some pictures today of my 3rd mom and my 4th daughter. Big big difference. and mom is small