MM doeling refusing bottles!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, May 10, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

This is my dd's Oreo... everyone else is fine.

She started refusing her bottle Thursday AM.

She is a 6-7wk old 2nd gen MM....

Help me think... I have company, a new baby, and a broken down van and my brain is mush....

Everyone else in the yard is eating great and so is her twin...

I also noticed yesterday afternoon her just standing and staring against the corner of the wall for at least 5-10min then she laid down...

This AM she was just curled up with the other babies...

She is on day 3 of Corid at the new dose listed... this is her second round of it... but previously we used it at a different dose... listed in goatkeeping 101...

she was wormed the previous week with Valbezan and 3 days later with cydectin....

She is still in my small baby yard.... with 4 other doelings her age and 4 2wk old bucklings....

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Is she pooping?? give her an enema and I problably would also give CD ANTIOXIN maybe entro? take her temp??

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

tw LeeAnne... who suggested entero, but this slow for that...

we gave banamine, bose, pen g... and then she took about 10-15oz of milk...

she was scouring yesterday, but it is all *dried* today...

boys report she HAS been taking 1/3-1/2 of her afternoon bottle... but NOTHING for dd in the AM or at night...

My cd antitoxin was partly used and I think it is not to be kept??? Sent dh to town for a fresh one

I can't find the dose on b complex....

I had her in the house for a bit... but she is NOT lethargic... she was running around or trying to eat bills...

Soooo not sure what to do right now... treat for entero or not... we started pen g so need to do the course...

Oh I was using the Sue Reith... pen g 5cc/100lbs doubled for 2 days... given for 5... remind me is this once or twice a day???

4. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Is she getting hay of Alfalfa?

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Well... sort of :lol they are given alfalfa pellets and the pilgrims show pro mixed in... 2x a day...

BUT their yard is my small back yard where Noah & Micah play so the feed often gets dumped at some point...

6. Katarina

Katarina New Member

We noticed that our babies won't as much of their bottles when they are fed their alfalfa before their bottles. The way that they acted you would think that they were never going to get hay or alfalfa again. :rolleyes

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

And why are you giving the pen?? CD Antitoxin for entro or what I do is 18cc sq 3cc at a time alternating sides and 9cc oral and repeat if not better in a couple hours. However I would use the antitoxin you have

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,30.0.html

Remember that the CD Antitoxin has only one function, to destroy on contact any entero toxins detected in the gut. So if the animal's own immune system has sufficient antibodies present, thus there are NO entero toxins developing in the stopped-up gut, it has no work to do and will just dissipate from the goat's system.

FYI: Banamine kills pain and cuts inflammation caused by the toxins as they do their damage to the gut walls (Whatever else you do, do not substitute dexamethasone for Banamine, as it will shut down the immune system while reducing the inflammation!); BoSe stimulates the body's own immune system so it can help itself get better while you help it from outside; Penicillin kills off Clostridial bacteria, but can't save the goat's life without the help of the antitoxin; electrolytes maintain the body's chemical balance so it won't die of dehydration while you're trying to cure it; baking soda reverses acidosis created by the toxins as they destroy intestinal walls; and Pepto bismol coats them, protecting them from further damage by toxins.