Mixing my own feed?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by [email protected], Nov 10, 2008.

1. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

Hi, my name is Denise and I am new to the board and to the goat world. So far I'm LOVING it! :) I live in NE Indiana and a couple months ago purchased two sweet Nubian doelings. They are so much fun and such personalities...Nettie is 7 months and a little sweetie. She is shy and cuddly. Junie is 5 months and a pistol. Her name is Junebug, but I call her Junie or Stinkerbug. She has quite the attitude and even tries to headbutt my Rottweiler-Gracie. :rofl I also have 4 Californian rabbits (hopefully bred) and too many chickens to count--somewhere between 60 and 80, I think, but they won't stand still long enough for a head count. LOL

Anyhow, my question is about mixing my own feed. I've been told it's cheaper in the long run and I'd know EXACTLY what they are getting. I've heard of 3-way (C.O.B.), and 4-way (to add molasses). But I can't find a 'recipe' anywhere-how much of each to mix. Does anyone else mix their own? Recommend or not recommend that I do it? Anything else I would need to give as a supplement?

Right now they are on a starter/grower with cocci prevention, free fed alfalfa hay, loose goat mineral and baking soda. I'm also worried that a drastic change in feed might cause bloat, so I know I would have to transition them over slowly. Any advise on that?

This is a SUPER forum...off to read some more. :biggrin

Thanks,
    Denise

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome!

I would keep them on the starter grower as long as they are growing well, until they are 100 days pregnant. That will give you time to figure out what is going to be your milkstand grain, then you can slowly start mixing your new milkstand grain into the feed, until once they kid in 50 days they will be on all milkstand grain. Then no grain in the stalls, only on the milkstand if you are milking.

Are you going to breed them this year? Once over 100 pounds they really don't need any grain at all with really good minerals (that they eat, does not good if they won't eat them) alfalfa hay, water etc.. Grain for a treat is fine, just under 1/4 pound, and everyday, don't ever give grain as a treat sporatically.

Once looking at your milkstand grain, which will also give you tons of time to read the old threads on nutrition.....Your really nice alfalfa will always be the base of your nutrition program. It supplies most of your protein and all of your calcium and roughage.....Improving the carbs with whole Oats, the fat with BOSS or/and corn. If your alfalfa isn't high in protein than feeding roasted soybeans or one of the high protein soy knock off's of Calf Manna. In keeping prices down feeding exactly what the doe needs is important and don't let to many fluff products into it. Know when to say when. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Vicki is absolutly correct. and please don't add molasses into your grain mix.
    Welcome to the site and if you want to do some searching use the left hand side search engine it is so much better than the one on the right.

4. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Sondra, thanks for the tip! I've always used the right one! :)

5. Denise, Welcome to the forum. I am also in Indiana. And I raise Nubians to! :)

You will find a lot of information on this site. :)

6. Necie@Lunamojo

Thanks for the replies and the welcomes. :)

Ok...keeping them on their regular feed. They seem to be doing really well. Nice and filled out, but not fat. I do need to weigh them again. I don't have one of those weigh tapes yet, so I just heft them up and stand on the scales. <rollingeyes> Nettie weighed 60# at 5 months and Junie weighed 40# at 3 months.

I do hope to breed them this year. The breeder that I bought them from said they should be 80-90# for breeding, so I'm hoping for Dec/Jan, at least for Nettie.

What is Calf Manna? I want to make sure I'm giving them everything they should have, but not stuff they don't need.

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Hi Denise!! Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place Just in case you encounter any problems with your new addiction! he he he. We miss those little girls. I Sure am glad we'll have new babies here in less then 8 weeks. (this is the Lady who found me from a bar of soap)

8. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Denise, if you haven't bought a weight tape, don't! Use a sewing tape and a chart... oh, I'll have to look for that one Kaye posted... it's more accurate. Wish someone had told me that before I spent the $3.50 & shipping. :)

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

calf mana or a knock off like animax which is cheaper is added protien.

10. Necie@Lunamojo

I guess I kinda did. LOL I had been looking and researching all summer. I wanted to find a couple of young does...possibly bred, and by September I had pretty much given up and decided I would just have to get a couple of babies in the spring.

I have been buying Sherrie's soaps for years and knew *of* her (love the 'Honey Bee'), and had even been on her website, but thought she was sold out for the year. I happened to stop to get a bar of her soap at a local shop, and have been friends with the owner, Sandy, for years. We got to chatting for awhile and she said that sometimes Sherrie advertises in a local paper. Picked one up and found Nettie and Junie. :) All I wanted and more!!

Ok, if you could point me to the sewing tape chart, that would be super! I'm sure I have a few of those laying around. :)

Should I be giving calf mana to the doelings, or is that more for lactating does also?

Thanks,
    Denise

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

12. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Cool- thanks Sondra! I stood on a scale with my Nigerians, & attempted that with my La Mancha kid....she's waaaay too big :)