Mixing My Own Feed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Well, feed prices are on the rise, and I know that there are things in the feed that I don't want my does to be eating. So I'd like to possibly start mixing my own feed. Do those of you who do this find it cheaper? Can you please share with me what are your favorite combinations of what ingredients and how much? Also, can you get all of your ingredients from a feed store or do you go somewhere else? I have always used Acco Dairy Lac and Acco Goat and Kid. What is a recipe that would be similair or better than this? Thanks all! :D Kristin

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Why not go about this opposite. Go to the feed stores surrounding you and see what they carry. I can get really pretty clean oats here, barley is no place to be seen, and I can get beat pulp. I don't know where Liberty Hill is, are you near a mill? Find out the cost of ingredients and then come back on and let us sort through it and help you. Also what is the quality of your hay and do you feed alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay? Have you found and are you using an excellent loose mineral? The alfalfa and the minerals are much more important changes to make first. Because with both of them being excellent your grain carries a much less important role in the diet, as it should. Vicki

3. Liberty Alpines

I don't know if I am near a mill or not...I could ask around. If it's not too much trouble, would you be able to give me a list of things to ask for? I feed alfalfa hay which is usually pretty good quality. I use Hoeggers goat minerals, they seem to work well. I also add dolemite and vitamin C to their food daily, as well as sodium bicarbonate. I use Hoegger's herbal womer weekly, and tonic 3 times a week. I top dress all of these daily vitamins with an Omega-3 oil mix, it's intended for horses and is called Healthy Coat. Thanks for your advice. Kristin

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Clean whole oats, crimped barley, beet pulp, crimped corn (is it tested for mold ((antifloxins, that isn't how you spell it just say it)). Soy supplement pellet or roasted soybeans, soybean meal. You may not need to up your protein if your alfalfa hay stays in good condition during the winter. How far north are you, do you have good freezes in the winter? Does you hay sit in the barn with your stock or do you have a hay barn? Does it have a dirt floor or cement and does it have a ceiling.

Do you have ironore in your water, red dirt? Vicki

5. Liberty Alpines

Thanks for the list. I am 30 minutes north of Austin, it freezes, but not hard usually. They hay is in the barn, with a ceiling and dirt floor. I don't know about the iron, if we have any it's not much. No red dirt, just a few inches of dirt and then it's all pretty much rock from then on.

6. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I Live east of Austin and was mixing my own feed and the prices are just to much to mix my own... oats 14.00 and barley 13.00 for 50lbs.
    So I have gone to using Bluebonnet Nature's Blend 10 Dry Horse Feed it cost around 10.50 for 50lbs and the girls are giving more milk and eating better.
    Oh I have been adding some more oats to the mix A few people on the list had mentioned it and it dose look better with more oats.
    Fran