Mixing Lye

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by VickiLynne, Dec 12, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Ok, This might be a dumb question, but the thought had crossed my mind when mixing my lye solution and while I was stirring and stirring I thought....could I use my stick-blender? I was too chicken to do it because of the caustic quality of the lye. Please enlighten one who is always thinking of ways to make the process more efficient.
    Thanks,
    Vicki in NC

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I don't know why you would want/need to. My lye mixes pretty easily. Or maybe you're using frozen/slushy milk? Either way, I'd be too worried about lye water/milk getting splashed.

3. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Kathy,

Yes, I do use frozen/slushy milk. I guess that is why using a stick blender crossed my mind. My lye dissolves in the milk but around the walls of my container it seems like it never completely dissolves. I try to use the spoon to get it, but it seems to be grainey on the walls of my container. The lye solution itself is dissolved and I never have had a problem with my soap. So I was just curious.

Thanks,
    Vicki in NC

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Okay, I got you. I quit using milk in my lye solution earlier this year. But I do recall the solution looking grainy. Probably some of the milk fat is saponifying already. I guess a stick blender might smooth it out some. You'd want to be very careful with it though.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I have been making soap for 7 years now, and I use a stick blender every time. I chop up the milk pour on the lye and take the stick blender and mash down the chunks as soon as there is enough liquid to cover the blades good I turn it on. I've rarely been splashed.

6. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks Sherri,

That is good to know.

Vicki in NC

7. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Yes....good to know! I may give it a try then next time I use milk in my lye.