mixing grain for milkers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by janettemoore, Jun 12, 2008.

1. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

I'm currently using DairyLac, and the price just keeps going up....so I'm looking to see if I can economize any, by mixing my own grain. The only problem is....I really like the taste of the milk with DairyLac, alfalfa pellets, Calf Manna, beet pulp. I am currently feeding alfalfa, also. And they graze pasture some.

The mixes I have seen on this list seem interesting with just oats, and supplements of BOSS, calf manna, pulp.. Some add corn, some add barley(my feed store doesn't carry barley?). Do you have a preference for certain feeds making a "better" taste? Sorry.....I'm probably not saying this very well.

Janette

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep NO garlic added :)

sorry just couldn't resist

3. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I used to use DairyLac and now mix my own.
    I don't think you well save money but you well know what your goats are eating you just don't know what they are putting in the feed from batch to batch.
    They have to find the cheapest ingredients so they can make a profit.
    If you can get DairyLac at your feed store and they are a ACCO dealer you should be able to order ACCO barley.
    I just got a bag and it was nice and clean.
    Fran

4. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

All right Sondra.......Just cause I'm on a health food kick! But my dogs are taking garlic.

Janette

5. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I feel like I have told this story 100 times but my husband used to drive a tractor trailer and delivered grain to companies. The right price can buy any grain for commercial feed. I self mix for quality and flexibility. I feed no corn to young kids.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

As you know Janette I mix my own grain and have for years. Only other choice in my opinion is bluebonnet dry grains it is good not necessarily cheaper but real good and is grain. Vicki is also using a grain mix but prebagged that is a different lable now so you maybe could get that. My milk tastes good and so does Vicki's
    PM her and ask her what it is she is using as it maybe local there for you.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Mine isn't anything special, it's called All Season mix and it's either by Arrow or Boyce. It's clean whole oats, a small amount of chopped corn and an alfalfa pellet. It is soo much cheaper than whole oats right now I have no choice but to feed it and with 4 tons a week being sold to just one facility they are guarnateed the price...so I am feeding it. I am adding some protein with calf manna (a knock off) because my alfalfa pellets are still not up to 17% protein, and starting in 2 week with one more buck gone and 2 more adults, I will be back using BOSS for fat. My adult herd is now smaller than it has been in ages, and in 2 weeks my kid herd will be larger than my adult herd :) I want to keep a pasel of FF next year so had to thin the herd.

My girls love the mix, and with the alfalfa pellet small most even eat it on the milkstand. Vicki