Missouri Raw Milk Bill

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by coso, Feb 1, 2008.

1. coso

coso Guest

Hopefully we can get this passed the current law is confusing. See this web page for further information http://www.ftcldf.org/aa-10jan2008.html . I wrote my state rep about this a couple of weeks ago and he e-mailed me this back.
    Crossing fingers and toes.

Edit: A representative has already filed it check it out athttp://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills081/biltxt/intro/HB1901I.htm

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:D Chris,
    I do hope Mo. gets this law passed. It's a little less worry if it's legal to sell your milk.
    Kaye

3. Melissa

Melissa New Member

yea, the whole "it's for the dog" gets real old.

-Melissa

4. Well the whole debate on it started up around KC. There was a couple that was milking about 40 cows and selling it all off the back porch. One kid got sick...the law was called.

We use to sell alot of milk out of the tank. We had a paper for them to sign saying we was not responable for anything and they knew the effects of drinking and using raw milk. Just to cover our A**es. But, I know that you can get a permit from the state now to sell raw milk for $25 a year.

Ken

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Isn't there a big deal about packaging? Not the selling of milk itself, but the packaging...goverment catch 22 type thing? Something about having an inspected/liscened bottling plant... some such nonsense?
    Kaye

6. coso

coso Guest

Yep, that was it Kaye. No one in MO had bought the permit because of the bottling laws. This really sounds like it has a good chance of going through from what I'm hearing.

7. I'm sure hoping it goes thru... BUT, I've decided to just go ahead with my wee raw creamery.. (granted poor Coso might be getting a middle of the night call to come bail me out of jail LOL) I've always sold some, but I'm hoping now to be safe to advertise.. nothing huge, just local area...
    I do wonder about something in the way the new bill is written. I like the part about milk & CREAM.. so does that mean I can sell butter? I'm mean it's just cream that's been handled really rough :rofl
    susie

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yeah....butter is just cream with a bit of rock'n'roll......... :rofl