Minimum Required Tests for healthy milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Jul 16, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

What tests do you run on a goat before you drink her milk or offer it to anyone else to drink?? And how often?
    I have heard of people testing only for CL, only for CAE, only Johne's, Only TB Brucellis, and any combination of a few or all of these. Just wanted your opinions!
    So what do you test for?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have ran hundreds of TB and Brucilosis tests on brokered dairy goats. By the time a doe has been sent to a broker (no money up front, you only get money after the goat is tested and exported, then you get the check minus my percentage) you can imagine the disrepair they are in. Most don't pass testing for CAE or CL. So in essence you have given a free goat to someone, and honestly most are put down. But I digress like always :) None, and I am talking about animals in the most deplorable of conditions, have ever tested positive for either test (TB or brucilosis) so the value of this test unless you live in the very southern counties touching Mexico or the very northern states touching Canada, testing is a little dubious. So no I no longer test anyone in my farm for this. Now I do an abortive screening on new goats...Chlamydia, Mycoplasma, Q fever (this will give you nitemares if you read about it) and something else... and I also test my girls each year for staph mastitis. I do this right before I am drying them up so they can get tested when the weather is cool and I can send samples cheaper than 1 day mail, and also it gives me time to treat anyone that may need it before they are dry.

I will say it is a little freaky to me when new folks start out drinking milk raw and selling it the next week, when they know little to nothing. Worse of course when they don't have a history on the goats health, or have a mentor to help them. A goat will be on the milkstring still when she is communicable for things like Listerosis, then go down and you won't be able to get her up to milk...one friend then destroyed all the milk in her freezer, but not until after her family had been drinking milk from the doe and she knows some of it was sold...scarry.

It does take awhile when you first have goats to get into a diagnosis mode with your goats, being able to see things early before they become problems. Vicki

3. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

We tasted ours, then started using it for chickens or dumping it because I wasn't sure!! So...I am totally confused...should I test for something...if so what??? I read all these horror stories about sick animals, etc and then worry so much! Figure you and others on the board are in similiar areas of the country (somewhat near Houston) so y'all are better to ask than vets that don't know or tell you its a goat its fine!!

4. NubianSoaps.com

It will be fine :) You have to remember forums are about emergencies and helping out new folks. But the things happening on the forum is not a normal cross section of farms, most of the time it is dull, nothing but the sameo sameo.

I dont' recommend infants or women who are pregnant or those really ill drinking raw milk from animals they do not know. And of course there are thousands of folks doing just this. Vicki

5. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

That sounded like a birth control commercial, not recommended for women who are nursing (infants), pregnant or could become pregnant...
    I know my mind connects the weirdest things!!!

Sarah

6. Rose

Rose New Member

Vicki, pardon me if I turn that into a list. :D Tell me if this isn't right.

Test new goats for:

CL
    CAE
    Chlamydia
    Mycoplasma
    Q fever
    Staph mastitis

7. Goater

Goater Guest

Vicki,
    Where do you get your milk tested? A&M no longer tests for human pathogens, only "Animal Health" testing.

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Not sure if this is the one Vicki uses, but I use PAVL

PVAL Tests for Goats
    Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis (CAE)
    Caseous Lymphadinitis (CL)
    Johne's Disease (Mycobacterium paratuberculosis)
    Brucellosis
    Q Fever
    Toxoplasmosis

PRICES
    1 Test Per Sample $6
    2 Tests Per Sample $11
    3 Tests Per Sample $15

9. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

How many test for Johnes ? What would you do if one were positive. Explain because to be honest I know almost nothing about the disease.

patty

10. Leo

Leo New Member

I've tested for johnes and they came back neg., no surprise really, I was curious though.

I'm kinda tough though, I would probably treat it the same as CL/CAE, cull, cull,cull and let the land go fallow, have a clean pen set up, you know the drill.
    Megan

11. NubianSoaps.com

Hi Goater, my vet is all about A&M and all my old testing was through them. I only test milk for staph now and use LSU.

Johnnes doesn't even have adequate testing for cattle, let alone goats. To test for Johnnes you really need to do blood Elissa and fecal AGID and it is a lengthy test. Most just test blood, to be able to put on the their website that they are negative for Johnnes when in fact it's really a pretty meaningless statement.

Ken has an excellent post on this if you want to search it....in essence it's a wasteing disease...most with johnnes have skinny emaciated adult does with few to any long lived animals...why it's scarry when you here of so many older (8) year old deaths at farms especially when it goes along with chronic disease. Old is 12, and shoot Tim P had a doe Sage who was still being shown and winning BIS at 12...thats why you choose to purchase from someone, you know they don't have chronic disease then.

Another way is to purchase kids who are taken at birth and raised away from adult manure. Vicki

12. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Thanks I will check it out.

Patty

13. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member