Mini Nubian Breeders

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Merry Beth, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Merry Beth

Merry Beth New Member

I am not sure if I'm posting in the correct place but I was wondering if anyone could tell me about breeding a Nigerian Dwarf buck to a full grown Nubian doe. Is this only done AI?

We are hoping to add some dwarfs soon and were wondering about just having a ND buck on the place since they are more "polite" it seems and easier to handle.

Any information would be appreciated.

:help2

2. Nope. Depending on the height, you may need to back your doe up to something that will raise the buck up high enough to reach. lol. I had to do that when I bred my nubian to a pygmy last year.

3. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Nope, most of the time the Nigerian buck will breed the Nubian doe - they'll work it out. Just put a few things in the pen, like a straw bale, etc for the buck to jump up on.

We have had Nubian, Nigerian and Mini Nubian bucks. We have two 2-year-old Mini Nubian bucks - one is crazy man, and the other is mr. calm. So it just depends on the buck. We have a little Nigie buckling and he is going to be more like the "wilder" one ;).

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

a ND buck on the place since they are more "polite" it seems and easier to handle.

Most buck temperment is in how he is raised. And don't think for one minute that a smaller animal is easier to lead or control because they are smaller. Smaller means lower center of gravity than you which pound for pound then makes them harder to control. Instead of holding a collar up by my armpit with a big buck controlled by my upper body strength and legs......smaller animals have you bent over, which gives them the upperhand. And don't think that just because they are smaller they are nicer. Vicki

5. Merry Beth

Merry Beth New Member

thanks guys, we'll consider this information! :)

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I have Nigerian Dwarfs & a few La Manchas.....no La Mancha bucks. My Nigerian boys had no problem breeding the La Mancha doe. I do have a slope in that pen so I'm sure he used that to his advantage :).

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have to say this since I have and have had both and more than one. ND buck is not always easier, and they are excape artists. All of mine are gentlemen so handling isn't a problem. and the ND has had no problems breeding either the Nubians or the LaMancha