Mini-Manchas in Milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I am biding my time waiting for the months to pass so I can breed my girls and get in to milk and start working some more on my herd.

For those of you with MMs how much milk can I expect to get from a FF 2f 3f?? When I got started I was told 1/2 the feed 3/4 the milk??? So I am guessing 3 quarts a day would be average?

I am also looking for a buck who is very dairy.

Any suggestions for breeders or farms with MMs would be greatly appreciated!

I live in Ogden (Northern) Utah.

2. eliya

eliya New Member

My MiniNubian does average around 3 quarts. I have some smaller does that give 1/2 gallon and some others that give 1 gallon, but the average is about 6 lbs/3 quarts. First fresheners will probably give a little less.

I have a friend in extreme eastern OR (almost in Boise, ID) who raises MiniManchas. You can see her site at www.echohillsfarm.com Not sure how close that is to you...

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

It can vary alot just like any breed of goat...

I have a 1st gen MM that has been a fairly solid 8lbs a day, 2nd gen that was a nice solid 6lbs, my 4th gen was a good 4lbs as a FF,

and yet another 1st gen is only 4lbs as a FF BUT her LM dam was low in milk as a FF and blossomed as a 2F (and I sold her before I realized it! cry)....

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My 1st freshener is a 3rd generation and she came to me in milk, not being milked twice a day, now being milked twice a day for a couple of months and she is milking 4 pounds, you can see from her udder she could milk more. With a small pocket in the for which will leave as she gets more deapth of barrel, with excellent feet and legs and you should see this girls rear legs! Sienna handily won her junior leg at her first show out (OK the only show in Texas we have ever had...yet :) I am thinking of going back to ND with her, for a buck for my herd...and moving myself forward behind this doe and a ND buck out of one of the spectacular does we have in Texas.

My 1st cross doe who is 5 milks 7 pounds she kidded 3 or 4 weeks ago and my 6 year old 3rd generation milks 7 pounds kidding at the same time. My last doe is a yearling she won't be bred until this October.

I am not sure I want to take my little herd into Purebred, they are too small and simply can't milk with an udder high enough into their thighs for our underbrush. I would rather use a 1st cross buck back over the 3rd generations and go backward, with higher quality. Vicki

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

:nod Vicki I have 2 4th and I am just not sure I want to go 5th or more... I really like my 1st & 2nd... have not really looked yet at the 3rds...

but that 1st gen milks in 1st-3rd place in my herd of LM & MM daily...

6. NubianSoaps.com

Well this year the group is bred to Chico but hope to pick up a ND this spring. I know which doe I would like her out of but I can only imagine $$$$ Vicki

7. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Great info thanks. I have been studying and I really like the MM's that are very dairy looking. More like the LaManchas (longer taller more gracefull looking), I don't care as much for the barrell bodied short legged ND dominant MMs.

As I have been studying some have indicated that their mm's are 75% Lamancha or 67.5% or what ever. To get this higher percentage MM do you just breed a 50% Lamancha 50% ND doe to a 100% Lamancha buck? Help me, how does this work?

8. NubianSoaps.com

To move your does further up the grading scale to purebred, they must be bred to a buck who is further than they are up the scale towards purebredness :)

If you breed a mini of any percentage back to a ND or Lamancha, than you are going backward not forward.

So a 3rd generation doe must be bred to a correct 4th generation or higher buck.

Also they changed, just as Sondra was getting to pureberd the amounts of generations to purebred :) So instead of using the 10 cross rule like all goats are done, they made up their own. This is some of what I would like eventually seen changed with the registry, and honestly one year I would like to see ADGA holding our paperwork...not showing at ADGA shows, or going to nationals or appraising but just keeping the paperwork alot more legitimately. Vicki

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Wizard....you kinda posed a question in your opening thread here. I'm gonna post this note here from Kaye on feed to milk conversions, as it may kinda help you and a few others as you are making calculations/evaluations in the future.
    This is the rule of thumb that I use here, and apply it accross the board to the big or small breed. I'm still learning how to make adjustments in feed in order to keep good milk, and a doe in good flesh at the same time. Seems to be a balancing act at this time of year with the summer heat, and milk amounts starting to bobble a bit.

Whim

Not complicated. The milk/feed ratio is figured on goats at 1# of grain for
    every 3#'s of milk.
    You also take into account the freshening date. When they are at 2/2 and
    starting to get fat...it's time to decrease the grain amount. Milking tissue
    in the udder is replaced by fat when it shows on the outside of body. When I
    get a doe that's getting 2#'s of grain and I'm not getting 6#'s of milk(one
    milking)...I start looking at drying her off. Seldom do I let a doe get down
    to 1# of grain...It's not worth my time to run her through the milk line.
    Off feed and dried off.
    Swiss breeds for example should peak at about 3-4 mo. then SLOWLY start
    declining,whereas Nubians (Most) will have a fast peak and a fast drop off.

Does that make any sense?
    Kaye

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK my take on this is not what Vicki's is as I would breed these does that she has now to an excellent milk line with a FB LaMancha buck not a ND buck.
    Also going back to Kaye's info on breeding with a boer buck was indeed detrimental to the milk production you are seeing with Inca and Amy (Vicki) as Amy last year produced nie on to 8lb per day if not more.
    I totally agree with the 4th and 5th gen and lack of capacity as I see it we may as well have ND instead of MM I love my 2 and 3rd gen does but am not excited at all on the 4th.

11. NubianSoaps.com

Your home!!!!! yeah! Now answer all these mini questions!

So you would take a full sized Lamancha over a doe the size of Sienna? Why not a ND? Vicki

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would because she is not that small and you will get a better production and teat size (I think) out of a LaMancha more so than a ND. As long as the buck throws small kids. However this is not something I have tried as until this year never had a FB LM buck. but used my MM buck on FB LM Doe and my ND buck on FB or MM does. This year will be trying FB LM buck on my 2nd gen does. one who is Sienna's size. SO guess we'll see. don't think I have any 3rd gen left. and have one 4th but she is tiny so will be a MM buck for her.
    However Vicki you probably know more abt this than I do :) I just know that others do this and some have even used a FB LM buck over a ND doe tho I won't do that.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Vicki you need a MM buck out of my AL for your breeding program I think. So be patient and wait for next spring buckling.
    as for milk production on MM you will get a variety of amounts based on parents I have had 8lb milkers and 2lb milkers all the same generation sooooooooo???

14. NubianSoaps.com

Vicki you need a MM buck out of my AL for your breeding program I think.

Well thats a given :) You know I want to be first in line for that.

I know for myself I don't want to go smaller than Sienna, the inflations just now fit her teats and touch the milkstand, smaller and I likely would have to go to smaller inflations and I don't want to have to think while I milk :)

I sure an enjoying them, even Amy, who has decided it's not such a bad place to live and has stopped her pooping on the milkstand which drives me crazy. She is the herd boss and is entirely too mean but I think when breeding season comes I am going to put all 4 in with Chico and keep them together until right before they are due, I think he will put her in line. Chico by the way is the sweetest buck!

I also wanted to let you know that all 5 are negative on blood for CAE via WSU. Vicki

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well if you breed her to ND they will be smaller and then you have the ear issue. and never with Amy. I know she is the boss but heavens pooping in the milk room was never ever an issue let alone on the stand. I have smaller inflations but don't even use them on the ND with tiny teats just too much trouble. Good to know all are neg. still. as I didn't do it last year nor yet this year.

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

by the way Wizard I don't breed my does until 18 mo or 2 yrs of age. so you will have plenty of time to look for a buck

17. shawhee

shawhee Member

Wizard, Hang on I am coming your way LOL. I am going to pick up a LM buckling tomorrow..... Thank you Vicki you ROCK!!

Shawna

18. NubianSoaps.com

Shawna is picking up a buck who has my daughter Joni's buck, Yazz Super Shuttle, a Redwood Hill's Chickory Showman son in his paperwork! Yazz both top and bottom....what a nice find! Vicki

19. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Well and I bred a MM to a LM who threw smaller kids for me the yr before... and Dolce 1st gen had a heck of a time. It was even triplets... but triplet BUCKS... 7lb, 3 1/2lb, and 4lb and she was a second freshner... she's ok... biggest kid did not make it. I am in NO HURRY to do that again!

20. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yeh LYNN but your water is different over there with all those big kids :)