mini mancha registration question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by birdiegirl, Jul 10, 2008.

1. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

This is (soon to be) Fig Forest Creole, my mini mancha buckling born in February.
    [​IMG]

I was planning to register him with TMGR, but I am confused about his easrs. TMGR states that ..."Bucks must have gopher ears to be entered into
    the purebred registry..."

The way I am understanding it, since he is not purebred but 1st generation F1, he can be registered. Once a buck is 6th generation, it must have gopher ears to be considered purebred.

So, am I okay? Can he be registered? He is out of an ADGA reg. LM doe and a AGS ND buck.

2. eliya

eliya New Member

Yep! It is for American and Purebred status that they have to have correct ears. In the Experimental stage, they aren't required to have perfect ears.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Can he or should he.......I would not keep and register a buck for improvement who did not have gopher ears. It's one thing to keep does who have elf ears, and his ears are longer than elf ears...because they will just have thier kids, but this buckling will be bred to many does and have many kids. His dam would have to be spectacular to use a buck with a major breed fault on your herd. Vicki

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I agree with Vicki. The buck should be of superior qualitity and already with this one his ears are an issue. Not that he "legally" can't be registered, but rather that he will bring about offspring with less chances of being born with nicer ears. Bucks are so dime a dozen that only really nice ones should be used for breeding.

5. birdiegirl

birdiegirl Member

Okay, forgive me for my ignorance on Lamancha ear genetics.....trying to remember my genetics class from a hundred years ago. So, could a long-eared goat have been produced from this breeding also?

Shucks......bad enough when I came home and saw him, was hoping for a doeling....... then thought, well, at least I can register him as F-1 and breed up from there, now I find out his ears are all wrong....grr. I had the chance to sell him too, but I did not.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And yep he could have had a brother with ND ears and another brother with perfect gopher ears :) Vicki

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

This particular buck I would not register. in fact with all my breedings I never kept a elf earred buck. I do keep elf earred does. But that is my opinion. and if I sell this buck at all would be pet only no registration at all however I butcher them and don't sell pets.