Mini Mancha-- ear infection?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by oakandstone, Jun 9, 2008.

1. oakandstone

oakandstone New Member

I have a Mini Mancha that may have an ear infection. I cannot find any good info on this subject. I noticed yesterday when she shook her head it sounded like water was in it. At the time I didn't investigate due to doctoring another sick doe for who knows what. Anyway, today I took a look and one ear had a big brown glob of wax I am guessing but the other ear has a white goo that came out when I squeezed it. It really doesn't smell terrible, just it is kinda gross. I have never had ear infections with any other goats so this is a new one for me. Is there anything else I should look for? She has just gotten 5 days of Max 200 (due to the fact that my other doe has got some strange illness going on) and she doesn't have a fever. If it is ear mites, would I see them? Would that cause white cheesy stuff?

Thanks
    Emily

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I clean out good with hydrogen peroxide and then squeeze a vit e capsul in the ear. E will heal but slow but it also will smother any mites if there.

3. oakandstone

oakandstone New Member

oh, I though I messed up--as you can see this was my first post
    I'm heading out there now to do the dirty work. She is not going to enjoy this!
    What should I do with the other ear? Do you keep them wax free by cleaning periodically or just leave the wax in there as a barrier from other debris?
    Emily

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Now with minis here again, and with my middle daughters Lamanchas we trim feet monthly and a wash rag soaked in peroxide is used to drip into and clean the ear well...we really scrub. Miticide is used a couple times a year also, epsecially in new goats.

The same drug...amoxicillin that is used for kids ears is the same drug we use for ear problems in goats, both as drops but as injections if they do get problems with thier ears.

Obviously elf ears are more prone to problems since they don't have a drain :) Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Good advice Vicki!!
    Welcome to the forum Emily

6. oakandstone

oakandstone New Member

Will I actually see the mites? Because I just went down there and cleaned both ears with the peroxide and dropped some vit E in the yucky ear. I didn't see any bugs of any kind. My other doe has a wet sound when I rubbed her ears too but no white stuff, just brown wax. These are both new goats. But now their ears are clean and I will keep an eye on the one with the white discharge. Am I understanding it right when Vicki McGaugh said that she drops amoxicillin in the goats ear? I have some PenG if that will work. This doe is about 65#. If PenG will work, how much and how long should I give it? And Thanks for all the advice and the welcome Sondra.
    Emily

7. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We have had 2 ear infections---a true infection the goat is sick, high teemps, obviously unwell. When this happens we give biomycin or other oxytetracycline systemically and irrigate the ear well and squirt pen-G in there. ALong with banamine and immune system supporters like bo-se, etc.

8. Rose

Rose New Member

The mites are too small to see with human eyes. :D

9. oakandstone

oakandstone New Member

Yesterday my girl looked much better. I did clean it again with the peroxide. She really hates it! But there was hardly any white stuff. I am going out of town on Fri so I will only have 2 days to treat her, this will probably not be sufficient treatment time. How long should the treatment last and how much Pen G do you suggest I put in her ear? She is not running a fever and is not acting in pain of any kind.
    Thanks again
    Emily

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Just until she is better. There really isn't a dosage because you can't get alot in the ear anyway. Really massage the ear with whatever meds you choose to use. It's sort of lamancha 101, and is worse in areas of high humidity of course :) An abcess can form at the base of the ear, it can then cause the eye to droop and can cause facial nerve paralysis, so it's important to keep them ears cleaned, for us just doing it when we trimmed feet was enough. Vicki