Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does one get a mini goat ? How does a dwarf buck breed a full size doe ? dont he need some help ?
I had a lady ask me that today :blush as she called looking for small N buck , I couldn't tell her as I dont know and boy did I feel stupid .

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
It helps to have a young Nubian doe and a mature ND buck so they are closer in size. Older Nubian does can be predujice (as a mule breeder put it to me) against little guys. Sometimes people will put the doe next to a hay bale or something. Both animals have to be pretty tame for that.

Btw, I'm from Troup. I'd be happy to hook that gal up with a Mini Nubian buck if she'd like. Problem is most folks in the area with minis got them at the same place. ;)

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Go to the MDGA (Mini dairy goat association) website: http://www.miniaturedairygoats.com/ and click on "Member Directory" which lists all the breeders that are members, and what they breed. There is also a membership directory for TMGR (the mini goat registry), the other mini registry: http://www.tmgronline.org/members/. I am breeding for mini alpines in Idaho. I could probably figure out how to ship kids if someone really wanted, but I haven't done that yet, and don't have any for sale right now (next spring there should be lots...). Mini Nubians are the most popular, followed by mini lamanchas, and the other breeds are gaining in popularity. To breed a Nigerian buck to a full-size goat, many strategies are used. I tried putting my buck and doe on a hill...which did not work because my buck was less than a year at the time, but might have if he were a bit more mature. If you have a deck like mine with long steps, you could use that. When the hill didn't work, I put my doe in a milkstand I have that is on the ground and butted a straw bale next to her bum, and stuck the buck up there. I have heard of someone digging a pit for the doe to stand in, and I've also heard of does that would squat or lay down for the buck. Another thing I've heard of was putting the buck on a stand and the doe being butted up next to it. Sometimes you just have to get creative!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey neighbor Angie ! I will let her know you have a mini buck and the mini goats are about like the large goats as everybody being kin ... LOL!!

Thanks Nancy :blush , I will give her the mini site and shipping would work during winter months here ,too hot now as it was 106* today .

Thanks girls, I can see that she needs to get creative if she uses a mini.... LOL!! where there is a will,there is a way LOL!!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Just to clarify - A Mini dairy goat is larger than a Nigerian dwarf. Mini Nubians, etc, are in between the full size goats and the Nigerian Dwarf goats. So a mini buck can easily breed a full size doe without any special tricks. It is only when you use the Nigerian Dwarf on the full size doe for that first cross that it is tricky.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep,I see as I saw where some are 4th. generation crosses and they look more Nubian but still smaller in size .
THANKS !

·
465 Posts
If theres a will theres a way.....a nigerian buck will find a way to breed a full size doe, hes a buck hes gonna find a way to breed any doe he can

·
Registered
2 Posts
How does one get a mini goat ? How does a dwarf buck breed a full size doe ? dont he need some help ?
I had a lady ask me that today :blush as she called looking for small N buck , I couldn't tell her as I dont know and boy did I feel stupid .
Bucks are extraordinary creatures. They’ll mount anything they can to get up there or even breed the doe while she’s lying down!! But they DO get the job done!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts