Mini-Alpine Herd Book?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Is there a mini-Alpine herd book. I'm trying to find SOME possible way of registering Solana's 1/2 Standard-size Alpine and 1/2 Nigerian Dwarf doeling. (If she has one.) Experimental. Native on Appearance...etc. Anything? Anywhere?

:help

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Experimental and will get your the registries have to get on my other cpu to get the websites.
    MDGA is one and TMGA I think is the other if your just starting out I would go with TMGA tho all mine are reg with the original MDGA and I can't afford to switch all over.

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Does it matter that the Nigerian Sire is not registered? And what does TMGA stand for? Thanks by the way. I am really glad there is a chance for registration.

-Kim

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

http://www.tmgronline.org/
    The Miniature Goat Registry (TMGR) new and well organized believe there is more support here.

http://www.miniaturedairygoats.com/
    MDGA Miniature Dairy Goat Association the original registry

just go and read up on the rules. believe they are more lax in MDGA and certainly not as well organized.
    MDGA is owned by one person who has too much to do for one person.
    TMGR is a breakoff from the orginial and is a group organized to really promote the mini breeds and is why I wish I could move all mine there.

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you VERY much!

-Kim

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I entered the TMGR site. It looks like BOTH my standard doe and my Nigerian buck need to be registered. My buck is not. *sigh* Oh well. I might try to breed any doelings up to standard...?

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Just start fresh next year . They have to look like alpines to get any type of papers to breed up ...they will be to small plus you will be hurt in milk production. Not a big deal to wait a year .

What you need to think about is how you are going to keep bucks seperate and not have this problem again.

Start slow . Use these kids as learning experiences . At least if you goof you do not have alot of $ into them.

Patty

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Kim, You should be made aware that at least some of these "private" registries are not recognized by many of the others when is comes to cross/multible registrations. I'm not knocking anything here, just letting you know that if you ever show, or try to earn milk stars, or try to compete for legit championships with your goats.......that whatever they earn may not be recognized as well as they would be in the "main" goat registries. If all you want to be able to say in the future is that you raise registered goats, then this is OK I guess......just letting you know up front before you get 2 and 3 years of breeding and registrating under your belt, that all registered goats are not recognized the same way.
    You may want to check into what I am trying to say here with some folks who know better than I do.

Just a tip, Whim

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

MDGA you can register with pictures of parents. I am pretty sure . But you can never breed these up to register with ADGA or AGS as they do not recognize any with dwarf or pygmy in the lineage. So don't even try that.
    and for them to ever become American or Purebred in MDGA or TMGR you are going to breed up to have standards of the Alpine by 3rd or 4th gen and pictures again. Also it is a long process getting there. not just 3 years

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you Patty...This breeding won't happen again because I sold the buck a few days ago.
    Thank you Whim...I did not even take that into consideration about being recognized across the board differentlyl.
    Thank you Sondra...I think IF she has a doeling and IF I keep her she will just be a pet...no breeding/registering plans for anything. Like you said Patty...It doesn't hurt to wait a year. :)

Thank you all for helping me with this! I have learned much. :thankyou