minerals

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by janettemoore, Aug 29, 2008.

1. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

I have been trying to find minerals to serve my herd, and milkers. I have used the red livestock minerals, but read that "not red" was the preferred type. So I got Paymaster caprine minerals. They are dark gray/green. So far to my milkers I have given about 1/2 t. a day for about a week. Any comments, suggestions about my selection, and how to feed them to my entire herd.

Thanks. Janette

2. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

If you look in goats 101 on here you can find simple plans for a PVC feeder for your minerals. Most people on here leave them out to feed free choice. I am not sure about the minerals you are using but from what I have read on here about minerals it sounds like a good choice. I am sure someone else with more experience in minerals will respond on them.

Clay

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I had hubby make up some of those mineral feeders they are inexpensive but they didn't work for me, they got humid and turned to solid rock in the tube. Now it might work with the more expensive cat litter like minerals I'm using now.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Janette aren't you close down by Vicki?? Get bluebonnet Tech Master Complete for your minerals

5. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

Sondra I have not found Bluebonnett stuff here locally. TSC in Temple had some "grain" once and I bought it. But they don't normally carry Bluebonnett they said. Oh well.

Janette

6. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

Thanks for the info Clay. I have used the PVC pipe as feeders, and also the small plastic feeders that hang on the fence. I just wasn't sure that the herd wouldn't eat too much...they go crazy sometime. I have also mixed with a grain to control feed to all of them. Just not sure how much to use.

Janette

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

minerals should be free choice or at least put out daily
    TALK to the manager of the TSC that is what I had to do