minerals

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

If you have a feed mill close to you that mixes feed ask them what they have in stock for mineral mixes. Mine has several dairy mineral mixes that contain no iron . Its a grey/white mineral . They have 1 to 1 or 2 to 1. Now the copper is not as high as I would like but with no iron its O.K. there selenium is low also. You can get selenium & e from pipestone I believe.

So what I am doing is mixing sweet lix along with the white mineral. I had been doing this and the goats looked great no copper issues. I stopped for about 2 months and now I have fish tails and circles around some eyes. I copper bolus-ed and am now back to the white mineral and sweetlix mix.

These are surgain mineral mix.

Patty

2. prairiegirl01

prairiegirl01 New Member

I have been trying to locate a better mineral (no red color no or little molasses) and here is what I have found. Can someone who knows take a look at the composition of each and tell me if they think these would be all right?

One is produced by Kent Feeds and the other is an Archer Daniels Midland product. I called about the Kent Feeds one and I know that one is gray. Here is the link for Kent Feeds.

http://www.kentfeeds.com/Product-Selector/Sheep-and-Goat/Goat-Mineral.aspx

Here is the link for the ADM/Alliance Nutrition Goat Power product http://www.admani.com/AllianceGoat/Dairy Goat Feeds.htm

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two products?

Also, I have not yet come across a listing of the recommended concentrations of minerals for goats in light of current research. Is there such a list and if so, where can I find it?

Thanks,

Chris

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

The first one is low in copper . I think 1350 in some of my minerals is low 1000 is really low. 1850 is much better.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I really loved the ADM site, really good info on worms in Kentucky. I couldn't find the breakdown, but at least one of the minerals is chealted, which usually mean a much better quality to the minerals. I would check out the mineral more, unless I missed a button, the site is great with really good basic info...which goes along with better ingredeints.

The first one is very basic, only copper sulfate. vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The 1st one would never make it here.
    1. Too low in copper
    2. 25% salt??
    3. Way too low in selenium
    4.Just a basic...no frills and probably too costly for what you're getting.

Second one...if they (the feed store) can get this...why not use the ADM Onyx? It's pretty close to everything they need, copper is adequate, and it's a black mineral instead of the red? For the "Goat Lable"...you're going to pay about the twice the price of Onyx.
    Kaye

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Do you realize how much time we spend yacking about minerals, thinking about minerals, searching for the correct minerals. We need a minerals detailed list of what exactly we need don't need sticky in 101! Because It gets so confusing to me, and I don't think I'm the only one.

7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I think that's a good idea Sherrie.

8. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

And I always make sure to read the threads that are discussing minerals! :)

The detailed list is a good idea but remember that different areas require different things (in the other thread, the 12ppm of selenium would have been a deal killer for me!) and there is the availability of the mineral itself.

District 7/Saanen Talk has been discussing Pat Coleby's (Natural Rearing goat lady from Australia/New Zealand?) mineral mix. I suppose mixing one's own might be an option when you are choosing the "best of the crap" as it was so elegantly put! :)

Here is the list someone posted:

You have given comprehensive advice on PC's mineral mix but I may be able to help you a little more.

I have a recipe for her mix that measures in parts, not weight. I find this is handy for owners who only have a few goats. I have used different containers to measure the parts according to my herd size at the time.

For example, for only a few goats I used a 1/4 cup measure. When my herd size more than doubled, I used a cup to measure with.

Here is the recipe in parts -

5 parts dolomite
    1 part copper
    3 parts sulphur
    3 parts kelp
    1 part bicarbonate of soda
    1 part butcher's salt in winter or 2 parts in summer
    (butcher's salt has very large crystals, it is definitely not table salt)

With that said, we are eagerly waiting for my DH to bring home a fabulous (and I do mean FABULOUS) mineral yours truly has tracked down. It is a custom blend made for cattle that the gal has tweaked just for us (of course we had to order 1000 lbs at a time, but I now have so many folks wanting it that I will hide my minerals when they get here!) DH will pick it up at the farmers house where we buy our pig feed (the mineral gal is the farmer's daughter and she dropped it (1000lb of mineral) off when she came by to visit him.)

It has 3000 ppm copper (chelated, organic) 120 ppm selenium (chelated, organic), which will make them 2-2.5 times more bio-available than regular copper and selenium. The zinc and cobalt are also organic and chelated. They mixed in the live cell yeast (no time to do the kelp, so we'll keep adding our own) at the cost of an extra $1.00/bag (I figured out that I was spending about $7-8 /bag of 50 lbs. of mineral when I was mixing it myself, so big savings right there.

Anyhow, it will cost $28.00 for a 50 lb. bag. When I called the Co-op earlier they quoted $35 for 50 lbs. of Cargill's Right Now Onyx and it had much less copper and selenium and of course no yeast and no chelated anything. I think we're doing good!

:woohoo

Camille

9. NubianSoaps.com

Camille, is it going to have copper oxide and protinates or just sulfate?

Vicki

10. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

It has Copper Amino Acid Complex and Copper Sulfate, with the Copper Amino Acid Complex coming first (as in listed before the sulfate) on the ingredients list.

Here is the tag:

Crude Protein 5%
    Crude Fat min 2%
    Crude Fiber Max 2.5%
    Calcium Min/Max 10%/11%
    Phosphorus 5%
    Salt Min/Max 19%/20%
    Magnesium 3.75%
    Potassium .20%
    Sulfur .35%
    Manganese 3250 ppm
    Copper 3000 ppm
    Cobalt 7.0 ppm
    Zinc 3445 ppm
    Iodine 270 ppm
    Selenium 125 ppm
    Vitamin A Supplement 82900IU/LB
    Vitamin D Supplement 49300IU/LB
    Vitamin E Supplement 760 IU/LB

Ingredients: Salt, Distillers Grains, Monocalcium-DiCalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Selenoamino Acids, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Vitamin E Supplement, Animal Fat, Vegetable oil. And the Live Cell Yeast from Diamond V at 1:5 ratio.

I/We can customize this any way we like, (so long as we order 1000 lbs at a time), but as I'm new to the "make it your way", I figured I'd go with a tweaked version for starts, especially as so many folks are placing their confidence in my ability to find a good mineral...

If you see anything that would make this an even greater "dream" mineral let me know. Of course, I can always up the A and D for the long winter too, and will probably do that on the next batch, depending on when we order again.

Camille
    P.S. Best part is the name of the company is WolfKill. :)

11. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

LOL, I'd have to buy it just because of the name ;-)

Tracy

12. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Anyone around the Houston area know a co-op with a good mineral mix? Maybe the one in Bryan or Crosby?

13. NubianSoaps.com

No...:) You need to get the Tech Master Minerals blue bonnet puts out. Sarah who lives in Tomball is coming up for a soap class if everyone who wants some wants to pay her ahead of time, and as long as I get my two bags first :) I can't believe she is going to mind picking up more than my two bags from TSC and bringing them here??? I will PM her if you all want to ask perhaps with a little extra for gas money, I am paying her in soap :)

And Troy if you want to call and bug the Porter TSC again, perhaps if we all bombard the same store over and over we will get results again, they used to order them for me. And it's not a special order if they get Bluebonnet Feeds they can put 1 sack or 1 pallet on the order.

Oh you could also opt for the Right Now Onyx from Carhill, Nuterena sells this. And it may be an option we all have to take. Vicki

14. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Sounds like a plan...depending on how many bags my TSC has. I wonder how long it takes to get an order in. Perhaps if everyone that might want some lets me know and mails me a money order (not enough time for checks to clear I fear DH said NO checks...) Maybe they can have them all in the store by 8/8 am and I can pick them up on the way to Vicki's.

If you want some PM so I can get a list going and give you the address to mail money order or cash in a card (if your brave - I am too chicken to send cash, but lots of people do!!) to.

Sarah

15. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Well there is a TS in Liberty which is not a terrible drive for me. They don’t have any in stock but said they should be able to order it. Waiting for a call back.

16. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

There is a guy in Bryan that carries the Bluebonnet Techmaster Complete minerals, and can give you more info on them than I can remember. He doesn't sale the Bluebonnet mix, but has never been without the mineral. It is called Lloyd Joyce Agri Services.
    1302 Groesbeck St.
    (979)823-7596
    Wendy

17. NubianSoaps.com

Sorry but....and everyone on the forum that has been on their own saga of Tech Master Complete, knows this feeling....but when you get it in your hands then come on and tell us :) :) :)!!! We have been promised, shown the orders, gone over their heads to buyers, to Bluebonnet Mills themselves, written letters to TSC corporate, and you may get them to order 1 bag. They lie to you, tell you it will be in tommorrow and a month later it is still not there. WE HAVE HEARD THIS BEFORE :) Vicki

18. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

We can't get the Techmaster up here, so I use the Onyx. The goats have been on it for a month and I can tell a big difference in their coats already.

19. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

yeah,, i did my own calling today to the closest TSC that the bluebonnet said was one of their dealers.... they were out and they called two other stores to see if they had it.... nope.... there was no mention of them being able to order it. :p

20. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I did my calling about yesterday and today. Found three places that said they would order it. One told me to call back tomorrow to give the manager my request, other took my info and said the manager would order me two bags, third told me to call back in two weeks because that is when he will be doing his order. I cannot believe the crappy customer service.

Don't smack me, but I was wondering what the main difference between this and TechMaster is? If I just read the guaranteed analysis they are very similar.

PRODUCERS 12:12 MINERAL WITH CHELATED TRACE MINERALS

FOR CATTLE ON PASTURE

A loose free-choice mineral containing 12% Calcium and 12% Phosphorus.
    High trace mineral concentration with a portion of zinc, copper, manganese and cobalt provided in the chelated form.
    High level of vitamins A, D and E.
    Contains Xtra-Dry that protects the minerals and vitamins from leaching as well as prevents the product from setting up.
    Ideal choice for cows grazing dry grass or consuming hay.
    Suitable for beef and dairy cattle in all stages of production.
    This product is safe for horses.

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS

Calcium, min 12.00% Calcium, max 13.00%
    Phosphorous, min 12.00%
    Salt, min 10.00% Salt, max 12.00%
    Magnesium, min 4.00%
    Potassium, min 0.15%
    Iron, min 475 ppm
    Manganese, min 4,000 ppm
    Copper, min 2,500 ppm
    Iodine, min 100 ppm
    Cobalt, min 32 ppm
    Selenium, min 45 ppm
    Zinc, min 9,900 ppm
    Vitamin A, min 200,000 IU/Lb
    Vitamin D3, min 20,000 IU/Lb
    Vitamin E, min 60 IU/Lb

INGREDIENTS

Monodicalcium Phosphate, Ground Limestone, Salt, Processed Grain ByProducts, Magnesium Oxide, Molasses Products, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Oxide, Iron Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate with Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (preserved with exthoxyquin and butylated hydroxyanisole), Mineral Oil, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Calcium Silicate, Calcium Salts of Long-Chain Fatty Acids, Silicondioxide, Natural Flavors, Disodium EDTA, Phosphoric Acid, Citric Acid and Mono and Diglycerides of Edible Fats or Oils.