minerals

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Okay, slap my hand...bad, bad, girl :/ I have not had minerals out for my goaties. So today after reading post after post on here I went and purchased a bag of minerals. Here is what I ended up with:

Sweetlix 16:8 Meat maker

2:1 calcium to phosphorus it has min 1750 ppm, max 1810 ppm copper. The way it reads, it looks like it is for goats like boers that are on pasture and not getting grain. But it was the best I could find. My TSC didn't have the bluebonnet minerals everyone talks about. At least of they do the sales clerk couldn't find them.

I figured these would be okay until I could get what I wanted. My feed store is going to order a different mineral for me it is:

Sweetlix Caprine Magnum-Milk and is 1:1 calcium to phosphorus has the same amounts of copper. Really every ingredient is the same on the label except the calcium and phosphorus amount. The way the description read, the Caprine Magnum-Milk was for lactating dairy goats. (don't tell my boys cause they are gonna get it to.)

Okay, Vicki, Kaye or any of you goat persons that know about minerals what do you think?

Also when I put the minerals out for the girls, I had just fed them, and they all went nuts. I went out a couple of hours later (checking on a dialated doe) and the minerals were almost gone....wow. Can they overdoes on minerals??????????? :sigh sure hope not. But they sure thought it was good stuff.

Sheryl

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

no don't think so but why or why Sheyl didn't you come to Lake Worth and get Tech Master??

3. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

cause...let's see....didn't know it was there? Is Tech Master the bluebonnet one? And I haven't been to Lake Worth in forever....that's a long way to drive if I don't have to. :sigh

Sheryl

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

What all of 25 miles?? yes it is blue bonnet and I'll bet if you ask TSC there in Weatherford to get you a bag from LW they will for you.

5. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

well, I am not real pleased with this TSC, it's kinda gone in the crapper. So many of their sales people look at you stupid when you ask them about some products like you've grown a horn in the middle of your head. The clerk and I searched and searched, but he didn't have bluebonnet minerals, then he just kinda walked away like he could care less...kinda pissed me off. So I went and got the sweetlix...at least they are for goats and they are better than Purina! So it can't be toooo bad...I hope.

Sheryl

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

just put out so much each day on that cause it has molasses in it I think so that could cause a possible problem if they gorge on it maybe.
    Instead of ordering the sweatlix in see if the feed store has a dairy cattle mineral or a good horse mineral

7. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

okay....geeesh you'd think I gave them goat candy.....they went nuts for it. I watched them fighting over it...and I was kinda like uh.oh, hope that's okay. Now, If I can just figure out the copper thing (bolus) not sure about giving that......

sheryl

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sheryl call TSC or I will for you if you want and talk to the manager of the store ask him/her to get some minerals from LW store if they won't order them in. That is how I got them into the LW store. never talk to the clerks cause they don't even know they have them.

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

The sweetlix that you got is the same one that I use here. Kinda wished the iron content was less in it because I am in iron ore rich country here already.......but for all practical purposes, I think the sweetlix does OK for me.
    Think also that they are eating it like crazy mainly because they haven't had any mins. in a while. They will most likely tone it down in a few days after cravings get more satisfied.
    Wouldn't worry too much about the molasses contents......it does have molasses in it, but compaired to some feeds, it would only be a drop in the bucket with the amount of mins. that they are gonna take in.

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Sweetlix is the best I can get here . I like it and so do the goats. Mine ate alot at first also . I go thru about a TSC red scoop and 1/2 about every 3 days or so for 11 girls and the 2 boys. I also think yours are being piggies because they have not had it and need it.

I have had no worm problems and coats look good.

Patty

11. steffb

steffb New Member

Is there a reason not to give the meat-maker? That's what mine get and love it.

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Steff. The only reason that I could think of, was if I could buy a better mineral at a better price. At least for now, it is the best that I can buy locally and my goats usually get into it at least once a day, every day.

Folks really need to keep this in mind when offering these mineral formulas.......It makes little difference if one contains high amounts of this and low amounts of that . If your goats won't eat them, then they are doing you very little good if any, other than letting you be able to say that you offer bla bla bla minerals free choice.

13. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Just FYI for those in this area - the TSC in Navasota now stocks the Bluebonnet Tech Master - saw it yesterday when we were up there.

Our goats love that stuff.

14. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Our goats eat up bluebonnet like it is goat candy as well :lol

we recently went through a space where we were flying through it a bag a week. HELP!!! Then I realized that it was also going to the horses...explained SOMEWHAT the rapidity with which it disappeared but STILL, you'd have thought we had been starving them and they have had it all along!

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

pregger does will eat you out of house and home on the minerals