Mineral Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KingsCoGoatGuy, Jan 16, 2009.

1. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Since we are on the subject on minerals what do you think of mine? I feed red clover & trace alfalfa silage, but wanted the non legume for the extra calcium.. Was I right? ;)

Shur-Gain
    Essential Minerals No.1

(For Non-Legume Feeding To Cattle & Horses.)

Ingredients: Dicalcium, Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Zinc Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganous Oxide, Copper Sulphate, Copper Carbonate Ferrous Sulphate, Iron Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Animal Sterol Irradiated (Vitamin D3), Ethoxyquin, Tallow, Molasses, Mineral Oil (for dust control)

Feed Act REG. No. 940022

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Calcium (act.) .......................... 19.0%
    Phosphorus (act.) ....................... 9.0%
    Sodium (act.) ............................. 8.0%
    Salt (act.) ................................. 20.0%
    Fluorine (max.) ......................... 2,000 mg/kg
    Zinc (act.) ................................ 4,000 mg/kg
    Iron (act.) ................................ 5,000 mg/kg
    Iodine (act.) ............................. 200 mg/kg
    Copper (act.) ............................ 200 mg/kg
    Manganese (act.) ...................... 1,800 mg/kg
    Cobalt (act.) ............................. 50 mg/kg
    Vitamin A (min.) ....................... 88,000 I.U./kg
    Vitamin D (min.) ....................... 33,000 I.U./kg

Feeding Instructions To be offered free choice to all classes of cattle & horses.

A couple questions,
    What is are ingredients?
    Animal Sterol Irradiated (Vitamin D3) & Tallow. (I know what tallow is but what animal and why???)

I have a feeling the salt content is to high and frankly the stuff stinks, so I am looking for a mineral which smells better with less salt. ;)

What do you all think?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

THAT would turn me against this mineral~FAST! Tallow can either be bovine or porcine.
    The copper is way too low.
    And why are the ingrediants list in mg/kg? Is that a Candian thing?
    This means it's formulated for grass/hay. And at 19% it's not really all that high.

I've actually found straight horse minerals to be better quality than a combination species mineral. But? I use a cow mineral...so I really can't say much.
    Kaye

3. KingsCoGoatGuy

Eww.. Porcine, maybe thats why the ones on the road disappear so quickly... Even bovine it is still gross.

Yes it is a Canadian thing, ;) Just can be the same can we? 1KG = 2.2 pounds...

I guess my feelings were correct to look for a new mineral, we have 3 feedstores one of which I hate buying from because of the workers there... Just to ignorant for my liking when it comes to any other animals then cattle or horses.

Thanks Kaye.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yeh, I knew, all too well, what a kg is!
    :rofl Well...our drugs are dosed at mg/kg and I HATE it. What's so wrong with cc/#'s? Now, I know who to cuss, when I'm figuring drug doses~The Canadians!

I have to buy my minerals at a store I REALLY don't like....but, hey, I only buy minerals twice a year, I can stand it.
    Kaye

5. KingsCoGoatGuy

Just checking. ;) I don't know why they don't use "cc" all our vets dose in "cc" not "ml" If you want to cuss someone out cuss the ones pushing to make sure only vets can disbudd and castrate our animals. I guess we old country folk are to stupid to be able to do a humane and good job. eh? Mean while I have had 95% of my stock done by breeders and the one done by a vet had to be done twice. Tell me whats humane about redoing the job at 3 months? But thats another subject. ;)

I really really don't like them. I used to buy feed from them but after they moved into their new building and hired some new people, I refuse to step foot in there. One of them never held back and said goats are a total waste of time and money; and the only type of animals who are good enough to spend money on are cattle! :mad He went on to say horses are only pampered because their owners are to stupid to see the costs of keeping them. So as long as that person (put nicely) works there I don't want to step foot in there. I did have to get a couple things at that feed store but never if he is working. :/ But if they have a good mineral I will have to suck it up and do it for my herd. I won't be pig headed and let my herd go without something just over one persons thoughts... You don't see many cattle who could keep up with some dairy goats... Pound for pound that is. ;)

6. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I thought that if it was pork fat, that was lard and if it's beef fat, that's tallow. But I could be wrong. As for the dosing thing, 1 cc = 1 ml. Don't know if that helps at all.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep a good dairy cattle mineral or horse mineral will be better than yours. I wouldn't use it with tallow or the low copper. Also there is no selenium.

8. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I've got to try to find a better mineral also, but I'm not having much luck. The one I have is ok, but when I look for others, hoping to find something better, it's kind of scary. One I saw had feather meal as a major ingredient (because, of course, that's such a natural food for the animals they market it for: cattle, horses, and goats!) and urea. Sheesh!

9. chewie

chewie New Member

i recently found the cargill onyx and switched, thanks to info here. the girls LOVE it. i had to only dish out a small amt the first week cuz they'd lick it clean, i was afraid too much at once would hurt them. i also give a small handful every few days to the horses. it was around 34$ but worth it i think. its very black, the other i was using was a deep rusty red.

10. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Alex, I feel for you about the feed store employees. But they are that, just employees and we as consumers are free to waste our money however we see fit! I am sure the owners of the store would be appalled that their employees are driving away their business ($$$$). I would suggest writing the management a letter. It couldn't hurt. Around here there are a couple of feed stores that I despise, but I have to shop there. The employees are allowed to smoke, and there is constantly a lit cigarette sitting on the counter. To me, that is appalling. It gets in my clothes and I smell it for the rest of the day. One of the stores used to have the rudest lady sitting behind the counter I ever saw. She would attack you the minute you walked in the door, with a very rude, "can I help you?" She didn't want anyone looking around at anything. I guess I was supposed to know exactly what I wanted down to color, brand and style when I walked in the door. She's gone from that store now, thank goodness, but I found her behind a class partition at another feed dealer recently that I 'd never been too before. Luckily, they just dealt in feed and I had no need to look around.
    We have another store right down the road, out in the middle of no where with the nicest bunch of folks I've ever met. They carry a lot of things I need for the goats and will bend over backwards to help me. Only thing is, I cannot possibly get there before they close during the week and most Sat. I am working too, so I have to deal with those other stores fairly often.
    Wish you luck and for a feed store dedicated to just goats and horses to pop up right down the road from you. :biggrin
    Anita