Mineral Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Belle, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Belle

Belle New Member

Who uses the Right Now Onyx mineral? Are you happy with it?

2. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I read in another post that someone uses Onyx Mineral and loves it because it is a good source of Copper, I think. I'm going to look into it myself.

3. leslieh

leslieh New Member

I started using the Onyx mineral about 2 or 2 1/2 years ago. I have been real pleased with them. Everyone still eats them good and looks great.

I think you will be pleased with this mineral.

Leslie

4. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Who makes the Right Now Onyx Mineral? I want to see if it is available in my area.

Thanks
    Vicki in NC

5. leslieh

leslieh New Member

They are made by Cargill. Most places that carry Nutrena can get them for you.

You might try http://www.cargillanimalnutrition.com to see if it has links to dealers in your area.

Leslie

6. Belle

Belle New Member

I was trying to post that same link, I just wasn't quick enough, LOL.
    Leslie, would you by any chance have a tag from one of the bags that you could post or pm to me? I would REALLY appreciate it! I have been searching for a mineral that is not red and unless something falls through I should hopefully be able to get the Onyx.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I also use the Right Now Onyx minerals...and the goats love them. I also have found that I'm not having to copper boluse as often as I was with another mineral. So, that's a plus. I also add feed grade yeast to mine at a rate of 1:5.

Dang it...I just cleaned up around my computer and threw the last tag away. It sat here for months.
    Kaye

8. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Right Now Onxy Mineral:

Calcium...Min 11.5% Max. 12.5%
    Phosphorus..Min 10.0%
    Salt...Min 14.0% Max 18.0%
    Sodium...Min 4.8% Max 5.5%
    Magnesium..Min 3.0%
    Potassium...Min 2.0%
    Copper...Min 2,000 PPM
    Iodine..Min 50 PPM
    Selenium..Min 30 PPM
    Zinc..Min 4,500 PPM
    Vitamin A.. Min 111,000 IU/LB
    Vitamin D...Min 11,000 IU/LB
    Vitamin E..Min 110 IU/LB

The company advertises this mineral for "high" stress cattle and for AI cattle.

Hope this helps.

Leslie

9. Belle

Belle New Member

Thank you very much!!!

10. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I've been using a supplement from Southern States for cows because it has a higher copper and magnesium level than the goat mineral. I'm still looking for that perfect mineral.
    Antia

11. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

I just started using it recently and I can already tell a difference in my LaMancha's coat. She's black and copper deficiency shows up quickly. She's almost back to her normal, shiny black self. I've been very pleased with it.
    Kathy

12. Belle

Belle New Member

Thanks for the replies ladies!

Kaye, what brand of yeast do you use?

13. Belle

Belle New Member

Well, I finally got my bag of minerals today and I thought I would post the rest of the tag in case anyone else wanted to see it.

Calcium............................................Min. 13.0% Max. 15.0%
    Phosphorus........................................................Min. 8.0%
    Salt.................................................Min. 14.0% Max. 16.0%
    Sodium.............................................Min. 6.3% Max. 6.3%
    Magnesium........................................................Min. 2.0%
    Potassium.........................................................Min. 1.0%
    Copper.............................................................Min. 2,500 PPM
    Iodine..............................................................Min. 200 PPM
    Selenium...........................................................Min. 26 PPM
    Zinc.................................................................Min. 5,000 PPM
    Vitamin A..........................................................Min. 100,000 IU/LB
    Vitamin D..........................................................Min. 10,000 IU/LB
    Vitamin E..........................................................Min. 100 IU/LB

Ingredients:
    Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Iron Oxide, Zinc Methionine Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Selenium Yeast, Processed Grain By-Products, Molasses Products, Animal Fat, Vegetable oil

Feeding Directions:
    Provide Cargill Animal Nutrition Right Now Onyx to beef cattle at a rate not to exceed 3.5 ounces per head per day. Provide plenty of fresh, clean water at all times. Store product in a cool, dry place.
    Caution: Store feed in a clean, cool and dry location. Storage area should be free of insects and rodents. Do not allow animals access to feedstuffs that show signs of insect or rodent infestation. Do not allow animals access to hot or moldy feedstuffs at any time.

14. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Does anyone know what the Right Now Emerald tag looks like?

Copper on the Onyx looks good, but the selenium is sooo low.

Camille

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Diamond V yeast.
    Kaye

16. Belle

Belle New Member

Sorry, I don't know about the Right Now Emerald but you could call Cargill and ask them.

Thank you Kaye!

17. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I asked the man at the feed store to get some for me, and he did. However, when he mentioned to the Cargill nutritionist that I wanted this mineral for my goats, the nutritionist said "tell her not to feed it to her goats, the chelated (sp) copper in it will absorb too fast and kill her goats." So I went back thru this thread to make sure that I had the right mineral and I do. So I don't know if I should feed it. I also need to ask about the color of the minerals . . .Why not red? Why feed the gray/black mineral?

Thanks,
    Anne

18. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Hmmm, I have been feeding the Right Now Onyx for about 2 to 2 1/2 years now. So far no deaths that were mineral related. Do keep in mind that to a lot of people, sheep and goats and sheep and goat nutrition are the exact same. Notice how many feeds there are that are bagged as a sheep/goat feed. Well, that AIN'T SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, sheep can not handle the level of copper that a goat needs. That is why you don't want to feed a sheep/goat feed to your goat. Your goat will not receive the proper nutrients that they need.

Course I'm assuming (and we all know what that means ;)), but I bet the nutritionist was thinking that goats were like sheep. How I came about using the onyx, I asked the man at our feed store for the best mineral he had. He knew it was for goats and he started out, "well, for goats...". I stopped him in mid sentence and said forget about that, I want to know what is your best mineral you can get. He said onyx hands down. So, I've been using it and haven't looked back.

As for the red minerals, they contain iron. I'm not real up on this, but I think the iron binds the copper from working correctly. Hopefully someone else will come and explain this better.

Hopefully this will help.

Leslie

19. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Leslie - Thank you. I do have Hoegger mineral (red) that I will finish feeding them. Toward the end I will blend it and get them switched over. I am so happy to have an answer about the "red" thing - thanks.

Anne

20. Belle

Belle New Member

The iron in a red mineral also binds with calcium, I've tried to do a search, but I just can't find that info.