Milo has the runs... & another question...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Milo has the runs. Just noticed it now, so he hasn't had it very long. I always check his pen for poo.
    His poo is yellow and runny. Not cow poo clump but runny. He is 12 days old. And eating 15oz 4times a day (He's been at this amount for a few days now). Does this sound like Cocci? Just fed him his bottle and he ate all of it.

My other question, if the above doesn't sound like cocci, I can get Corid from my local farm store, unless they quit carrying by now...(Which is possible because they seem to quit carrying everything I need.) What is the dose for Corid, when do you give it, ect ect for coccidia prevention?

Thanks!!!

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I heard that the runs with Cocci are dark colored. I really don't know though.

3. Thats what Ive heard also but want to make sure. :)

Thanks for replying. :)

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If he was here I would give him some probiotics....horse probios in a tube, just a toothpaste amount size in his mouth. I would also put a pinch of baking soda in his next bottle, take his temp and watch him. Runny yellow poop is usually a change in temp of the milk or eating something new, not a problem. Did you have another doe freshen and he got some colostrum in his milk yesterday?

If it progresses to more water than I would take some to the vet and check it...15 days old is too young to worm and cocci treat, especially with Corid. A vet could tell you what is in the poop, and a sulfa or treatment for ecoli or or or could be started. I don't make a huge tadoo about one runny poop, one time, that goes away on it's own. Now I would fecal and take a temp. Vicki

5. Thanks Vicki! Can I use the probios that are for cows? Thats the only kind I have right now.

Milo has been on cows milk from the store since I brought him home. I dont have any goats milking yet. I wish they were, it'd be a tad cheaper! LOL There probably was a change in temp of the milk. The last two times I was in a hurry while heating it up. I'll make sure to warm it up like I have been and see if that fixes the problem. He's very active, doesn't act sick. Loves that bottle. So he has a good appetite. Thanks again!!