Milo and millet

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by wheytogosaanens, Jul 27, 2008.

1. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Okay, you folks who know everything...! :D

We will have access to milo and millet (as well as ground corn and screened chicken crumbles, but I know what to do with those ;) ) at a very good price. DH wants to get a bunch as protein - feed-wise - is such an expensive component of feed. I want to be able to put it to good use without any adverse effects to the animals and highest best use as well.

I was thinking to top dress the diary girl's grain with the millet (still waiting for the extra BOSS). Chickens can do millet and milo.

What about pigs? What about the bottle calves? Future rabbits?

Can the goats do milo?

Thanks for the input and any background/experience you have using these.

Camille

2. goatershubby

goatershubby Guest

"Can the goats do milo?"

We feed our girls in the milkstand, MOB BOSS. 1 part milo, 4 parts oats, 3 parts barley and 1 part black oil sunflower seed. We don't feed our goats, chickens or ourselves corn at all. Occasionally we get some corn in the oats, our old timer goats fall on it like it was deep, dark chocolate. The newer ones, who have never had corn, spit it out. We feed for maximum health, results in the milkbucket and economically as possible and this works for us. We are raising MiniManchas so don't know results for full size dairy goats.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:hi Hey, you! Sure have missed you posting...hope to hear more from you!
    Kaye

4. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Hi there Kaye! I thought I WAS posting a lot LOL. Perhaps when you were galavanting to Nationals I was here working very very hard! :) Sure sounds like y'all had a great time.

Camille
    P.S. Know anything about millet?

And thank you for the input on the milo, Lenny. I'll keep in mind that my girls milk 12-14 lbs/day for 8 months and then "drop" to 8 lbs/day before we dry them off for kidding. We too avoid corn for the goats. Why don't you let your chickens have it?

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member