Milkstands for showing...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Jan 3, 2009.

1. What type of milk stand do you take when you are out showing goats??

I have a simple wooden one. I am trying to find an affordable milk stand that will collapse down or partially (SP?) collapse so it wont take up so much room.

Thanks! :)

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

All I have are wooden ones and we haul the lightest one with us.. :rofl
    Seriously though, I'd love to have one that collapsed and weighed less when traveling.

3. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

I will dig up the picture a breeder sent to me.. You will have to look past the granddam to my doe but you will see what she has done. :)

[​IMG]

The "stand" is her show box, the head piece is removable and only have to be attached & reattached between shows. Plus her herd sign on it... I am thinking of making on for myself but not as tall in the stand part... This was made because she goes to our Nationals shows and needs everything for a weekend in it. ;)

(Photo & idea are not mine so google Morning Glory Alpines & Saanens if you want to ask permisson or ask her any questions. )

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I show, I borrow one of my friend's milkstands. She has three metal ones that break down for hauling. I think Caprine Supply sells them. We usually show together and take two of them in her trailer. I borrow one for my county fair and it fits into my station wagon. Kathie

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

6. KingsCoGoatGuy

Yes that is her website Amy. I just emailed her to see if she would give up the plans... I will post them if she will. :)

7. Ok thankyou. :)

And thanks for all the replies.

I had thought about the metal milk stands but this other one would be awesome if she'd let me use the plans to build one. We could ALWAYS use the extra space at the shows! lol

8. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

My portable milk stand is a dolly, revamped of course.
    Hubby welded mesh for the bottom, attached bicycle handle bars to the end and made a detachable head latch for the bottom.
    I use it to dolly all my stuff at shows,from trailer to stalls, then attach the head piece and I have a portable milk stand.
    I do have a take apart metal one now though, as the dolly one has the does a little close to the ground and it is inconvient to trim udders. I'll keep taking it to shows though... a dolly sure comes in handy.

9. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Milkstands made from PVC are very light weight and break apart... google them
    Barbara

10. KingsCoGoatGuy

Amy, she will let us use her plans. :D She is will send some pictures & drawings of it by Thursday to me and I will post them here.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I have a very light metal stand that is 3' long and 2' wide. The head latch comes off. Another stand that I use sometimes when I take several milkers is my wagon used to haul stuff from the trailer to the show barn.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=214397-52314-TC4205F&lpage=none

All 4 sides drop down and with a little modification a head catch could be added. I just scotch the wagon, clip the doe to the fence and hang a feeder on the fence. She stands on the wagon bottom, eats, and is milked. When the wagon is packed into the trailer, it is loaded with the things I will need first when we get to the barns.
    Kaye

12. Thank you everyone for replying!!! This gives us several ideas :D

13. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I have 2 portable Sydell milkstands for shows. I don't use wood anything as it is bulky and doesn't look as 'professional' as a nice metal or aluminum stand. The PVC stands are not nearly sturdy enough IMO.

I use a garden cart to haul all my show equipment from my trailer to my pens.

Sara

15. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

Question for those using wood: Do you worry about using wooden stands at shows?
    I know the metal is very easy to disinfect after a show.

16. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Don't show (not sure if I plan to, very shy person), but I am glad you mentioned the disinfecting issue with would...probably wouldn't have thought of that....

17. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I have rubber mats (from TSS) on my stands as the girls find the wood itself somewhat slippery. I have one doe that won't get up at all without it! I have a few of these things as we got one big mat and I cut them down to fit the stands, that way, every couple of days I change them out by putting clean ones one and hanging the dirty ones on the fence to clean/dry. I take the stands themselves out a couple times a year to hose off and scrub. I then spray 'em with an orange oil mix and let it air dry. I think the mats are the key to keeping them clean.

18. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

DH and a friend made me an awesome milkstand for shows. It is made out of an old metal bed frame. It has 4 legs angle iron legs that are removable and the head piece is removable. It works really well and then it all it is is the five pieces strapped to the body of the milkstand. Probably only a few inches high and very easy to transport without taking up much room at all. Quick to set up and take down too. I'd like to hear more about the aluminum ones if anyone has used one - sure look nice and should be light. Tried that aluminum electric wire when it first came out and hated it... hope the stand are better than that LOL.

19. KingsCoGoatGuy

I really like that wagon idea. :) I seen those on sale back in the summer, and said to myself I should get one to cut down on the number of trips of taking out & bringing back. But I was warned not to leave stuff out at our 4H shows since things have gone missing before. Hence the fact I want a lockable box, which is big enough people will not want to steal... :)
    I did see the cleaning an issue, but will be using a rubber mat on the top for grip... I also think it would make a nice bench if need be... If anything happened where beach & hot water wouldn't be enough... I could just use it as a nice after show get together for a BBQ. ;)