Milking to bottle feed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dmeiermom, Jan 13, 2014.

1. dmeiermom

dmeiermom New Member

In the past I've always let the kids get the does milk production going. However this year I was approached by a therapy ranch that brought my kids but I have to bottle feed for 3 weeks then the therapy ranch will take over. My family uses the milk, so my ? now is how often do I milk the does to increase production as much as possible. And when can I go to twice a day milkings.

2. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

I go to twice a day milking right away after freshening unless the doe is strutting or leaking between milkings. Sometimes I will milk an extra time in the afternoon for a week or so until the doe's capacity has improved and she can hold twelve hours of milk.

3. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

We do 3x a day for the first month, if possible, sometimes longer. Someone once said we feed the kids 3x a day for the first few weeks so why not milk the doe 3x a day if you can. Made sense to us, plus we are home since we homeschool. Works for us.

4. dmeiermom

dmeiermom New Member

by milking 3 or 4 xtimes a day for the 1st couple weeks will I trick the doe's body into producing more? Or does it not make any difference?

5. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

A doe's supply is part heredity and part demand then producing the supply to meet that demand. Some can meet the demand and some can't, that's the hereditary part. I chatted once with a national saanen breeder that has a dairy and he said they milk 3 times a day/all the time which gives them a 20% increase in milk produced.

On the barn records that we keep, we have noticed the does we milk 3x for a longer period have a longer, stronger lactation. So for us, it seems like milking more increases the chances of higher/longer-term production.

6. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

You can always use storebought whole cow's milk for the bottle babies, if your goat does not produce enough.

7. dmeiermom

dmeiermom New Member

I really appreciate all the wonderful info. The 3 milkings per day makes a lot of sense for at least the 1st 30 days, but now I'm wondering do you milk every 8 hours or can I milk at 6a, 12noon & 6p?
    Thanks for all the patience & support.

8. punchiepal

punchiepal Member

I think we usually do something like 8 am, 3pm, and 10-10:30 pm.

9. dmeiermom

dmeiermom New Member

I love this forum! Everyone is so nice and helpful. Thank you for the info.